Persian box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

Persian box

Post by amena »

I found this Persian box that has a representation of a multitude of characters on the lid.
I can't make sense of this scene, there's a king or a notable anyway, a character milking a cow, people who seem to be carrying bread.
Maybe there is a reference to some traditional story that I don't know?
Anyone have information about it?
Thanks for the attention.
Amena
Damon
contributor

Re: Persian box

Post by Damon »

Hello Amena

This may be inspired by the story of "Bahram Gur in a Peasant's House". A source image is at https://art.thewalters.org/detail/27890 ... s-house-2/ The story dates to the Sasanian period of Iranian history

The key figures are the king who is in disguise and the peasant's wife who has her back to the king while mllking a cow.

The cow gives no milk and the wife, not knowing that the king is present, complains that the lack of milk is due to his cruel rule. Hearing this, the king vows to do a better job and the cow begins to give milk.

I am not absolutely certain that this story is the basis for the image on your box but it seems to be a good candidate for further inquiry

Hope this is of interest

Damon
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thanks Damon, I think you've hit the mark.
Your information was very helpful
Regards
Amena
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

In the past, on these forums, I have read several arguments about the meaning of the number 84 on Persian silver.
Someone says they indicate a title of 840/1000, someone claims that they indicate 84 zolotniki, equal to 875/1000.
I had some doubts about this box, something did not convince me and so I took it for a test. Despite having the 84 mark, the actual fineness is only 458.7.
For the record, I also brought another box, also from Iran. The latter instead revealed a fineness of 477.2,
At this point, knowing whether the number 84 means 840/1000 or 875/1000 becomes pure rhetoric.
Better to be wary
Best
Amena

Return to “Middle East”