Question if this is sterling or not.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
majik73

Question if this is sterling or not.

Post by majik73 »

I found this plate, dish, or whatever you want to call it at a resale shop today. I was looking all over for any kind of marking and was only able to find the "925" stamped inside of it. There are no other markings visible. I can't find any conclusive evidence that 925 was really used on anything other than jewelry except 1 article stating that it was used from 1999 to present for items made and sold in England only. Can anyone help me to determine if this is sterling or not or do I have to take it to a jeweler to have it tested?

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Question if this is sterling or not.

Post by silvermakersmarks »

We often see pieces marked with just "925". Of course there is no guarantee that any of them are really sterling - just that the manufacturer is making that claim. The only way to be sure about a claimed fineness is to have it tested.

Phil
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I see enough silver tarnish and I don't see any of the tell-tale signs of silver-plate (signs include wear of the extremely thin top layer of silver which reveals a brown metal color underneath, that awful purple color that silver-plate often shows for some reason). ::: I would assume it's 925 silver and my first guess is that this is from modern-day Turkey. ::: I would take a chance on it, personally. ::::
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

The same design piece can be found bearing the mark of Israeli firm Hazorfim...

~Cheryl

Return to “Middle East”