Silver beaker with unknown marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
zaemp

Silver beaker with unknown marks

Post by zaemp »

Hello,

I'm looking for help with these marks on a silver beaker. The marks appear 2 x as a couple on the beaker.

Initially I thought the beaker was French because one of the marks seems to be a cock, but I am not sure anymore.

Has anybody seen these marks together? The beaker is made of solid silver and appears to be old.

Thank you very much in advance,

Peter

AG2012
contributor

Re: Silver beaker with unknown marks

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Not French marks but very interesting,indeed.The fineness is .900 silver (Arabic 90 in the mark).
The year is 1803 and it is not Hijri (Islamic) calendar but Gregorian year 1804 of western calendar.
That`s all I can tell.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

This set of marks is very similar, but with Sultan`s Tughra of Ottoman Empire.
The fineness mark looks like later Egyptian Cairo marks, except the town mark is at the bottom instead of the top, like they had later.
Until 1882 Egypt was formally ruled by a viceroy appointed by the Ottoman sultan.
In short,I opt for Cairo.
zaemp

Post by zaemp »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Not French marks but very interesting,indeed.The fineness is .900 silver (Arabic 90 in the mark).
The year is 1803 and it is not Hijri (Islamic) calendar but Gregorian year 1804 of western calendar.
That`s all I can tell.
Regards
Thank you very much for this tremendous help!
Where/how do you read date?

Best regards, Peter
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

In Arabic numerals 1803 under Tremolierstrich (wavy line). Must be the year,linking it to something else makes no sense.Although it is unusual to see western (Gregorian) calendar years in Islamic silver;one would expect Hijri year (for 1803 it would be 1218).

zaemp

Post by zaemp »

AG2012 wrote:In Arabic numerals 1803 under Tremolierstrich (wavy line). Must be the year,linking it to something else makes no sense.Although it is unusual to see western (Gregorian) calendar years in Islamic silver;one would expect Hijri year (for 1803 it would be 1218).

Great help! Thank's again!
This is what the beaker looks like on the whole.
There is another mark on the handle that seems to be the fineness mark again.
And it is possible to unscrew the handle.

Best regards, Peter

zaemp

Post by zaemp »

Sorry: You can unscrew the base plate, not the handle.
lemecdutex

Post by lemecdutex »

Quite often pieces that can be separated are each marked to ensure that the whole thing is solid silver. Interesting piece!
zaemp wrote:Sorry: You can unscrew the base plate, not the handle.
maziyarcem

Post by maziyarcem »

Very nice Ottoman Egyptian silver goblet. I am going to have to disagree on the date comment. Although you are reading 1803 correctly, such cups were not made at that time (1803) even in Istanbul. In Egypt, they copied what was made in Istanbul years later. Style of the cup matters here. You would start to see such cups being made on late Abdulmecid, Abdulaziz or Abdulhamid II period. This is most likely made after 1882 and is missing the tughra. Items made prior to would have a tughra as AG2012 posted a sample picture.

Return to “Middle East”