Large Iranian/Persian Tray Help

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
effreek

Large Iranian/Persian Tray Help

Post by effreek »

Looking for some help identifying the marks on this beautiful tray! : ) I tweaked the exposure on the mark to get a clearer image. Let me know if I should show the original to help. : ) A family member that knows Arabic told me its Arabic letters but he can't read it. He said its probably Iranian/Farsi. Any help would be appreciated! I found this recent post that looks to be very similar in style and script but not the same words. (at least from what I can tell)

Damon
contributor

Re: Large Iranian/Persian Tray Help

Post by Damon »

The design suggests that is almost certainly Moroccan

I can make out two words in Arabic

On the top line انتاج - produce - the second word might be a family or company name

On the lower line فضة - silver

Hope this helps to some extent

Damon
effreek

Post by effreek »

Damon,

Thanks so much for the help! : ) After looking up Moroccan designs I think you are correct in that.

Why does the second word look different than what I'm expecting with the silver Arabic word?

Thanks again for the help! : )
Damon
contributor

Post by Damon »

Effreek

Apologies for the long delay in replying.

Not sure exactly what the points of difference are but here is my best guess.

It is true that the word for silver in Arabic فضة has three letters (from right to left - fa, dhad and tah marbutah) each of which is quite distinct when written in a conventional manner.

The same word on this item is written in a stylized manner. The word initial letter fa is closest to the conventional - a circle with a dot above it. The medial dhad has the expected dot above it but is missing what might be called the little tail at the end of the letter. The final tah marbutah does not have the expected two dots above it. There is only one but in daily script the two dots are often replaced by a short dash which in this case displays as a dot.

Hope that this helps.

I am not an expert and am learning on the go, so others may have different views

Damon
effreek

Post by effreek »

Damon,

Thank you for the clarification. This totally makes sense.

No worries about the timing. : ) Information is always worth the wait. Hopefully, this helps others with similar markings and designs.

As a side note, this is probably my best find at a Thrift Store to date! Found it hiding under a bunch of tin pans. : )

- Effreek

Return to “Middle East”