Iranian silver set

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Smokanabeach
contributor

Iranian silver set

Post by Smokanabeach »

Hi everybody!

Here is a set I suppose to be iranian (875/1000 purity) juding from the hallmark you'll find bellow:

Few questions about it:

- what is the use of this set? wine?
- hallmarks are only at the top of the beakers unlike russian beakers which are punched at the top and bottom: does that mean those one are only in silver for the top parts?
- as you can see, the service consists of a bottle and a tray in addition to cups: is that normal that I can't find any hallmark on it? Is it common that this kind of set to be composed by beakers in silver and bottle and tray in silverplate? (For the tray I would find this normal as for french tea sets which are usually composed by silver parts and silverplate tray...). Moreover, no silversmith or town mark found...

That's it! As you will observe, I don't know really persian silver, that's why some of my questions may seem stupid...

Thanks for your help!

Don Smoka
Smokanabeach
contributor

Re: Iranian silver set

Post by Smokanabeach »

Looking on my side, I found pictures of Qajar items whith designs close to my set: could it be a lead to explore?
Smokanabeach
contributor

Post by Smokanabeach »

Up!

Thanks for your help!
Smokanabeach
contributor

Post by Smokanabeach »

Up!
MGArgent
contributor

Post by MGArgent »

The mark is for Persian numerals "84", which as AG2012 explained in another thread refers to 840/1000 fineness (not Russian 84 zolotniki which is 875/1000 fineness).

It appears the large vessel does not have a handle, which I think would indicate it is not intended to hold a hot liquid such as tea? Maybe water?

I have an unmarked Iranian silver cigarette case which is lower than 840/1000 fineness. The large vessel and/or the tray may be of a lower purity to reduce cost, or may be silverplate.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Wine set (Is it 40 or 80 lashes for drinking ?).
84 was discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=53318&p=168304&hil ... an#p168304

I think it is silver but I would be tempted to test the tray and the bottle.
Regards
Smokanabeach
contributor

Post by Smokanabeach »

Hello AG2012,

and thank you for this valuable information!

I missed this subject, which is very rich in information both general concerning Iranian silver securities (like many I started with an interpretation of 84 as equivalent to 84 Russian zolotnik) but also about my wine service.

I will see to have it tested electronically for more precision but also to preserve the object.

I will post the results asap!

Many thanks again ;-)

Return to “Middle East”