egyptian silver mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
confused

egyptian silver mark

Post by confused »

Hi,

I have a query on this egyptian bracelet date mark. I see that the one mark indicates .800 finess. Looking at past posts, it would appear that the other mark possibly indicates 1948/9 HOWEVER my bracelet mark seems to have an extra dot on the date part on the top right? Does anyone know what this means? Is it right to think it's 1948/9 or does this extra dot change this? These marks are duplicated on each link of the bracelet. Also, does anyone know what the wavy sort of line on the "cross" side stands for? This mark, again, is duplicated on eack link.

Any knowledge will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Clare.
dnl
contributor

Re: egyptian silver mark

Post by dnl »

The extra dot is an indication that the Arabic character is on it's second use as a date letter. It would differentiate the letter used for 1946-7, and the same letter used for 1997-8.

The 'cross with loop' is called an ANKH. It was often portrayed as being carried by the 'Gods' of ancient Egypt. It is, essentially, the symbol of life. Much more is written about it all over the internet that you would find most interesting.

Hope this helped some with your confusion!
confused

Re: egyptian silver mark

Post by confused »

Hi dnl,

Many thanks for the information! That helps to clear up the question of the date associated with this piece. And many thanks for the info on the ANKH. Unfortunately I did not explain myself very clearly - I was actually curious about what looks like a wavy line (sort of dolphin shape, I guess??) stamped on the stem section of the ANKH (on the right-hand side of the picture, close to the link to the next section of bracelet.) This mark is stamped on all the ANKHs in this area of the stem, so does it stand for anything.... or is it just a mark from when it was removed from the mold maybe??

Any ideas appreciated! And thanks once again for your help.

Kind regards, Clare.

Return to “Middle East”