arabic Necklace - origin and age?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Christiane

arabic Necklace - origin and age?

Post by Christiane »

Hello,

I purchased this necklace on a local fleamarket. It was said, it is an european piece and probably 19. century. After checking the hallmark and comparing with the ones on this site, I am quite sure, it is an arabic piece. The exact hallmark I did not find. Does somebody knows it? Of course the necklace locks rather archaic, but this must not mean, it is old. Is it possible to say something about the age? Many thanks in advance!

pinksteel

Re: arabic Necklace - origin and age?

Post by pinksteel »

Looks like the Iraq hallmark.
Christiane

Post by Christiane »

pinksteel wrote:Looks like the Iraq hallmark.
Thank you very much for your advice!
finnegan

Post by finnegan »

I think that is an Egyptian 800 standard and city mark.
http://www.925-1000.com/foreign_marks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you search the forum posts for Egyptian posts, you might be able to identify the city.

Fin
pinksteel

Post by pinksteel »

finnegan - did you look at the iraq hallmark? Doesn't look like the egyptian one at all, to me. Click on the picture to enlarge it.
finnegan

Post by finnegan »

Hi pinksteel,
Yeah, I gotta admit that this whole region is confusing when it comes to marks. Egypt and Iran used a very similar standard/city mark format. Admittedly, the numbers seen on this piece of jewelry are identical with Iranian 800 (^''), but Egypt also used the same numbers in the same stylized way, Sometimes 2 digit, 80 or 90, other times 3 digit 800 or 900. But what really matters most is the Arabic text above the numbers, and I think in this case it would be for Cairo, if the info is correct in the post linked below.
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 05&p=61685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers, Fin
pinksteel

Post by pinksteel »

Hi, Fin, thanks for clarifying. I am learning a lot here!! When I post a question, I look around to see if there are any I can answer, that have no replies. There aren't many, lol.
-Karen

Return to “Middle East”