Large cuff bracelet with puzzling Arabic hallmarks ?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rachellynne

Large cuff bracelet with puzzling Arabic hallmarks ?

Post by rachellynne »

Hello,
I am hoping that someone might have a bit of information regarding this large, tribal-looking bracelet. It has three marks on the inside, none of which seem to correspond to the Turkish, Egyptian, or Iranian assay marks listed on this site, nor any other marks that I have seen. In the first photo, the first mark looks almost like a bird head with an arrow sticking out of its neck; and in the third photo, the second and third marks appear to be Arabic notations within cartouches formed of dots. Apologies, I know that the pictures are not the loveliest, but they were the best that I was able to capture. The bracelet seems too stiff to have high silver content, but it does appear to have quite a bit of wear to it. I am much obliged for any help!
Hada
contributor

Post by Hada »

Hello Rachellyn,

This is a Pakistani piece stamped Khan.

Regards,
Hada
rachellynne

Thank you!

Post by rachellynne »

Thanks for the help, Hada! Do you have any guesses as to what "Khan" might mean in this context? Would it be the artist or the town of origin? As the piece does not seem to have a very high silver content, I am wondering why it would be stamped at all. Obviously, this is not my area of knowledge and it is all a mystery to me. I am certainly grateful for any and all insight you or others might be able to provide.
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

Greetings Hada-

Would you be able to tell us which mark is for Pakistan and which says "Khan" ?

Thank you- Byron
Hada
contributor

Post by Hada »

Hello Byron,

The oval shaped mark to the left says khan. It's upside down in the picture. Khan is a common surname in Pakistan. Because of the name and the type of workmanship, I infer that it's a Pakistani piece. I cannot decipher the mark of the right.

Regards,
Hada

Return to “Middle East”