Persian Cigarette Case

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
FarmerGreen

Persian Cigarette Case

Post by FarmerGreen »

I’ve been through the website and done a search of posts but I haven’t been able to find these marks.
This is the first silver piece I’ve owned. I’m planning on keeping it so I’d love to know a little bit about it. Got it at an auction from the estate of a former governor of Georgia.
Any help greatly appreciated or just a nudge in the right direction.

oel
co-admin

Re: Persian Cigarette Case

Post by oel »

Hi, I believe it to be Turkish.
The two identical Arabic marks perhaps mean; metal hand made, not sure, I could be wrong.
The middle mark (Arabic) is for the city of Van
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van,_Turkey

Peter.

Source; Hallmark Research Institute World Hallmarks Volume II precious metal terms and locations Arabic & Persian page 414
FarmerGreen

Post by FarmerGreen »

Thanks Peter. That is very cool. I didn’t even consider Turkey. It amazes me that you were able to figure the marks out. Thank you so much for taking the time to do the detective work.

I will look in the Atlanta newspaper archives to see if the Governor’s name ever appears with Turkey, although I don’t know the odds are very good that a Georgia governor would have had official business with Turkey. Most likely it was something he picked up in his travels or received as a gift.

Thanks again,
Noah
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

It was made by an Armenian silversmith during Ottoman empire.
They were famous for their nielo work.
Most Armenians left Turkey after the genocide.
Regards
FarmerGreen

Post by FarmerGreen »

I did some reading on Van and I can see where it was a traditionally Armenian city. I also read about nielo, which I had never heard of. I had wondered how the dark markings were made. Very cool. Thanks for the info. So when you say Ottoman Empire, would you guess that it was made somewhere around the turn of the 20th century?

Thanks again, trying to figure out the history of an item is crazy interesting. I wish I had the skills you guys (or gals) do.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Nielo technique is elaborated here:
https://www.langantiques.com/university/niello/

The case was made in late 19th, or early 20th centurry.
Regards

Return to “Middle East”