Is this candle holder weighted or solid sterling?

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AllSeasons

Is this candle holder weighted or solid sterling?

Post by AllSeasons »

I'm interested in purchasing this candle holder, but I'm not sure if it's weighted or solid sterling. It seems to be Mexican in origin, as it has what appears to be the eagle stamp. The base appears to be hollow, but I'm not sure about the rest of the item. Please see images below. Any insights into the hallmarks would be appreciated, as well. Thank you in advance.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Is this candle holder weighted or solid sterling?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Eagle 1 mark silhouetted was used until early seventies and it guaranteed the fineness.
See here:
https://www.925-1000.com/mexican_marks.html
Plat.Mex. SA was recorded to operate in Mexico City (number 1 on eagle). The abbreviation stands for Plateria Mexicana Sociedade Anonima (limited company).
Bottom line is Hecho en Mexico (made in Mexico)
It is obviously solid silver and not weighted. Cannot tell for branches, though, but it does not make much difference.
Regards
AllSeasons

Re: Is this candle holder weighted or solid sterling?

Post by AllSeasons »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Eagle 1 mark silhouetted was used until early seventies and it guaranteed the fineness.
See here:
https://www.925-1000.com/mexican_marks.html
Plat.Mex. SA was recorded to operate in Mexico City (number 1 on eagle). The abbreviation stands for Plateria Mexicana Sociedade Anonima (limited company).
Bottom line is Hecho en Mexico (made in Mexico)
It is obviously solid silver and not weighted. Cannot tell for branches, though, but it does not make much difference.
Regards
Thank you! Yea, the branches are what I'm concerned about. The base is obviously not weighted, but the branches could be reinforced with other metals. It's hard to tell there.

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”