Taxco Jewelry

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AME

Taxco Jewelry

Post by AME »

I received this Taxco choker, bracelet & earrings from my mother. They have mother of pearl and shell inlay. I welcome info you can share regarding provenance, year made, special considerations. I believe she would have purchased it in the 1950s or 1960s. Thank you in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/KIkGS7G
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Taxco Jewelry

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Please embed your images.

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Trev.
AME

Post by AME »

I received this Taxco choker, bracelet & earrings from my mother. They have mother of pearl and shell inlay. I welcome info you can share regarding provenance, year made, special considerations. I believe she would have purchased it in the 1950s or 1960s. Thank you in advance.

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
For eagle mark (one of your marks) was used late 1960` early 1970`.The number in the eagle mark cannot be deciphered.
https://www.925-1000.com/mexican_marks.html

Regards
RB3art

Post by RB3art »

[quote="AME"]I received this Taxco choker, bracelet & earrings from my mother. They have mother of pearl and shell inlay. I welcome info you can share regarding provenance, year made, special considerations. I believe she would have purchased it in the 1950s or 1960s. Thank you in advance.

It’s a beautiful set. I do hope someone can help since there’s so many markings that others come sure have seen before and can help piece it all together.
I’m new to the forum and am about to post a piece that has the excellent way to stamp silver jewelry to identify by place, artist, and their number on a registry list somewhere.
If we can find how to access those registries, I think that would help a lot also.

I would post on some FB groups dealing with Mexico jewelry and see if any help there also. Then update it here if you find out.
I’d also take to a certified GIA jeweler to appraise the items too.
Good luck
AME

Post by AME »

I have posted to some FB pages and have not been successful in finding out the artist of this set. I know there are different marks because the choker and bracelet are from one maker and the earrings from another. I see an Eagle mark on the earrings that appears to have a 6 in the middle. I believe the set is from the 1965s, especially since there is an eagle mark on the earrings and it is the silhouette style and when I believe my mother bought the set. Wish I could find out who #6 was.

Furthermore, I'd love to know more about the mark on the earrings that appears to be SOCAL. Any ideas on this, please?
AME

Post by AME »

AME wrote:I have posted to some FB pages and have not been successful in finding out the artist of this set. I know there are different marks because the choker and bracelet are from one maker and the earrings from another. I see an Eagle mark on the earrings that appears to have a 6 in the middle. I believe the set is from the 1950s and the earrings pre-1950 especially since there is an eagle mark on the earrings and it is the silhouette style and when I believe my mother bought the set. Wish I could find out who #6 was.

Furthermore, I'd love to know more about the mark on the earrings that appears to be SOCAL or SACAL. Any ideas on this, please?
I think
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Okay, searching "Mexico Eagle 6" results in 11 pages with only one exacting entry. Not clear if they are referring to a Type 1 or Type 2 Eagle mark, but "6" is definitely being linked to a Taxco-based maker here: https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopi ... 47e7#p8694

To be sure, no Type 1 nor Type 2 Eagle "6" marked article has actually been submitted in any known threads, although a number of eagle marks have been reported unreadable. None of the information in threads with eagle marks has been coordinated into a master list on the site...a challenge of sifting if anyone is up to the task (hunt, hint).
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

To be more precise, Patrick was insinuating that six had been employed on pieces linked by a mark thought to potentially be that of a retailer, probably located in Taxco.
AME

Post by AME »

Thank you for all your information.
AME

Post by AME »

AME wrote:Thank you for all your information.
I am pretty sure my parents purchased this set in either late the 1960s.

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”