Large Mexico Silver Bowl Hallmark ???

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
schlomo

Large Mexico Silver Bowl Hallmark ???

Post by schlomo »

We have a .925 silver bowl with the markings depicted in the photos. It was purchased by parents guessing in 1950's or 1960's.
The bowl measures 11.5 inches across the top and weighs 31 ounces. The photo of the entire object show ornate trim around top and base.
The bowl also appears to be hand hammered.

Traintime
contributor

Re: Large Mexico Silver Bowl Hallmark ???

Post by Traintime »

D.F. = Federal District, so Mexico City area. Mark at bottom seem to be inverted, destroyed eagle which does not help (see here): https://www.925-1000.com/mexican_marks.html

The big mark will be either maker or retailer containing their initials...not much to go on, but you'll have to work from there. At last this one has enough to make it recognizable when a completed visible match surfaces.
schlomo

Post by schlomo »

Thanks Traintime!

What did you mean re "when a completed visible match surfaces" ?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

I would hope that, over time, an item might surface somewhere on the net which has cleanly stamped complete markings so you would know the full extent of what yours should look like. It always helps in trying to find the source, although Mexico is still pretty tough from the lack of records.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Whenever I see an "L" on a Mexico silver object from the 1940s-1950s I go with the name "Lopez" but I did try but couldn't figure out the maker. ::: There were so many silversmiths in Mexico during this time, many of them had very small shops and have not yet been identified, given the large hallmark I was surprised that this hallmark couldn't be figured out, but perhaps in time it will be figured out. ::::

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”