Sheffield Reproduction - silverplate???

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
bbcphd

Sheffield Reproduction - silverplate???

Post by bbcphd »

I have a serving piece with the imprint of a seated sphinx and the words "Shefflied Reproduction". I don't see any other hallmark on it. Could this just be some other kind of metal in a Sheffield pattern? Or if it has the seated sphinx, does that mean it IS in fact silverplate? thanks for your help! Bonnie
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello.
The term "Shefflied Reproduction" usually means that the piece is silverplated over copper.

Here's two possibilities for the sphinx mark:

John Batt & Company, London, England.
Joseph Sankey & Son, Bilston, Wolverhampton, near Birmingham, England.
They were known for their copper and brass wares. Don't know if they produced silverplated items.
http://www.oldcopper.org/sankey.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pat.
Last edited by 2209patrick on Mon May 19, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbcphd

thanks so much, and could a simple sphinx just mean England?

Post by bbcphd »

Hi Pat, Well that's a relief, because I want to give this piece to a friend for Christmas, but not if it's not even silverplate. But the sphinx imprint has nothing below or around it to identify it---no initials, or other marks. I thought maybe it simply meant made in England. Is that possible? Thanks so much for your knowledgeable reply! Bonnie
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello Bonnie.

The sphinx mark does not indicate what country it was made in.
However, I do think it was used by either John Batt & Company or Joseph Sankey & Son, both located in England.

Silverplate maker's marks often change slightly over the years.
There was little government regulation of these marks.

Pat.
bbcphd

thank you

Post by bbcphd »

Hi Pat,

thanks for your quick reply! I looked at the mark very closely again, and it does have some rolled scroll mark the sphinx is seated on, so maybe that's a variation on the John Batt & Co mark. thank you!

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”