Multi-marked (MG, WB & BS2) apostle spoon. Old continental s

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Multi-marked (MG, WB & BS2) apostle spoon. Old continental s

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello I recently obtained, as interesting, the 9 centimeter long probable apostle spoon shown below.
It does not obviously appear British silver or silverplate. I believe it is a silver spoon but I am looking to the forum to give a more definitive view. On the assumption it was silver, I reviewed “925-1000”’s figural world marks but found only a few possible places of origion for the spoon. Germany was my most likely country of manufacture though I would be easily persuaded to any other group of silversmiths.
I hope the spoon photo raises some discussion for forum members and gets me some enlightenment.
Yours
Fishless (possibly Clueless).

p.s. I will say sorry now to the administrators if this post is in the wrong group.
oel
co-admin

Re: Multi-marked (MG, WB & BS2) apostle spoon. Old continent

Post by oel »

Hi , Dutch with Dutch pseudo marks. The maker's mark RS above 2 is for: Rinze Jans Spaanstra, registered in Drachten, Wommels, Berlicum and Nijehaske ( cities in the Dutch province of Frisia/Friesland), registered during 1864-1896. Known maker of spoons with pseudo marks.

Please check for other Dutch hallmarks, sorry for the short discussion.

Oel,
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Multi-marked (MG, WB & BS2) apostle spoon. Old continent

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello and thank you Oel for such a prompt reply to my query. I was undecided as to the silversmith type mark being “BS2” or “RS2” but at that time and still now I have not been able to make the Dutch silversmith web site work for me. I am listing a larger image of the marks.
These European “Psuedo” silver marks confuse me a bit still. Are they put exclusively on items made in silver, but the items do not contain an amount of silver up to a country’s parts per 1000 minimum standard? In my case as “R J Spaanstra” was proud enough to put his official mark on my spoon so one assumes it should be a “silver” spoon and not a spoon made from an alloy containing no silver at all.
Thanks again to the forum the extra insight you supply.

Fishless (now less Clueless).

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”