Albert Coles Fish Serving Set - Seeking Info

If you know the maker, but not the pattern. - PHOTO REQUIRED
pappas1322

Albert Coles Fish Serving Set - Seeking Info

Post by pappas1322 »

A recently passed family member had this set. With a little research and help of the good people on this forum I found it was Albert Coles. However I have yet to see anything of his online that resembles the pattern on the handle as well as the scenery on the face of the knife. The handle was engraved for Lt. John Phillips. This was from Massachusetts and there was a Lt. John Phillips serving in the Civil War from the state of mass. I digress however. I would love any info on this set. I do not know date but I am guessing pre 1860? As for pattern etc, any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Fork is roughly 9 inches and knife is close to 11 inches. Only the knife had the hallmarks, the fork has none. I am new to this forum so if I am posting in the wrong area please forgive.

dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Albert Coles Fish Serving Set - Seeking Info

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi ~ Suspect your lovely fish set wasn't ever a named line pattern - have seen the pattern before, it's in one of my reference books, but not where I can check right now. Have only seen fish sets, appropriate to the cattail and dolphin motifs; the engraving on yours, with the fish and fishermen on the lake is charming. Would guess it was probably a later Coles production, probably 1860s.

~Cheryl
pappas1322

Re: Albert Coles Fish Serving Set - Seeking Info

Post by pappas1322 »

Very interesting and helpful info Cheryl. It will help in my continued research. It is much appreciated.

Return to “Flatware Pattern Identification”