GEORGE H. ARMFIELD
Stanley Street, and 63, Johnston Street, Collingwood
Armfield, Geo. H., Collingwood, was born in Croydon, England, and came to the colonies when very young, arriving at Melbourne from South Australia in 1867. Mr. Armfield learned the business of watchmaker and jeweller with Messrs. Wenzel and Enes, Bourke-street, in whose employ he remained until 1878, when he established his present business at Stanleystreet, Collingwood, employing at the time no labour. The business increasing rapidly, Mr. Armfield found it necessary to enlarge his premises from time to time, and at present finds employment for ten men and three or four boys. The trade is divided into two distinct departments, viz., watch and clock-making and repairing and jewellery manufacturing. The latter department contains a large machine for cutting discs and medals, wire and plate rolling machines, and a large machine for stamping medals. A specialty in connection with the business is the making of medals of any design, masonic and friendly society emblems, &c. Mr. Armfield received certificate at the Melbourne International Exhibition of 1880 for jewellery exhibits, and is the donor of the well-known "Armfield Cricket Trophy" which is presented annually for junior cricket competition.
Source: Victoria and its Metropolis, Past and Present - Alexander Sutherland - 1888
Robbery from a Victoria Jeweller's.–Advices to hand give the details of a daring robbery from the branch shop, 63, Johnston Street, Collingwood, of Mr. G. H. Armfield. During the absence of the managers to dinner, the show cases were completely looted, property estimated to be worth Â£300 being removed, in full view of passers by.
Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 1st October 1889