An umbrella from the 40s with a silver band.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Granmaa
co-admin

An umbrella from the 40s with a silver band.

Post by Granmaa »

Another umbrella post: this one was made by Kendall in 1940 judging by the silver band around the handle. The maker's mark says K & S Lc. Does anyone know this maker, and why does the impression of this mark seem different to the others, as if it were crudely scratched in?
Granmaa

dmay

Post by dmay »

The mark is that of Kendall & Sons, a London umbrella maker in business during the 1930's and 1940's. the K&S Lc stands for Kendall & Sons, and the Lc is an abbreviation for an incorporated company. Can't tell you why the marks are as crude as they are.

dmay
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Thanks for your help dmay; you sound like you know a bit about umbrellas, which are a interest of mine. Do you know of any good websites or books on the subject? My searches so far have been fruitless.
Miles
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

On thin silver it is very difficult to stamp marks. You will find that many umbrella rings, unless substantial, will carry faint and sometimes crude looking marks. Best wishes, Mike.
johnkendall1

Re: An umbrella from the 40s with a silver band.

Post by johnkendall1 »

Hi

I assume that this thread is long dead, however just to clarify the mark will be K&S Ld (not K&S Lc) and is indeed Kendall and Sons Ltd an umbrella manufacturer from Leicester (not London). They also made walking canes in the 1st half of the C20 which bear the same hall mark on silver collars.

All the best John Kendall
dognose
Site Admin

Re: An umbrella from the 40s with a silver band.

Post by dognose »

Hi John,

Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for the clarification.

I note that the partners at Kendall & Sons in 1913, when they registered at London, were Percy W. Kendall, Frank R. Kendall, and E. Clifford Kendall. The recorded address was Post Office Place, Granby Street, Leicester.

Frank R. Kendall, who presumably made the registration, entered the address of Moel Leys, Kirby Muxloe, Leicestershire, as his private residence.

Trev.

Return to “London Hallmarks”