Sturt Street, Ballarat, and Bridge Street, Ballarat East
Levinson, Mark, Ballarat, is one of the leading jewellers of the Golden City, and old residents of Ballarat will remember the jeweller's shop of Mr H. Levinson, opened in 1854, in a tent on the Main-road, from which the present extensive business has grown. The original proprietor carried it on until 1872, when his brother, Mr. M. Levinson, purchased the business, and has since been sole owner. Mr. M. Levinson came to Australia from England in 1863, Prior to that he had served several years' apprenticeship to the watchmaking trade, and after his arrival was for three years with R. Robertson and Son, prominent manufacturing jewellers of Melbourne, and was also for several years with Feldheim, Jacobs and Co., wholesale importers, so that before going into business on his own account he had received a thorough training in every branch of the watchmaker's, jeweller's, and optician's trades. Besides the principal establishment in Sturt-street, Mr. Levinson, ten years ago, opened a branch house in Bridge-street, Ballarat East, and keeps an extensive and varied stock at both places.
Source: Victoria and its Metropolis, Past and Present - Alexander Sutherland - 1888