What this one called ?

Navajo, Zuni & Hopi
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
lamusicaa

What this one called ?

Post by lamusicaa »

hi new to the board,
I recently discovered an 'Old Pawn 1920s Navajo Indian 925 Silver Swastika Rolling Logs Arrows Bracelet NR' or so eBay says. Unfortunately it has been sold some months ago. Now mind you I spent 8 hours straight researching reading and trying to come up with same bracelet cuff on google or American Indian (of all kinds) online jewelry stores I've seen thousands but not another single one like on that eBay listing.
Why am I so fixated with particular piece ? My Grandmother before she died gave it to my mom. My Mom wore it her whole life without taking it off. Unfortunately my Mom is also an avid gardener, well unfortunate for the bracelet cuff lets say. Anyway she lost it and was heart broken about it. I went to Mexico when I was little and found one that I thought resembled the original and she LOVED it and then lost it.
That said she has never forgiven herself for it and you can't barely mention it without her cringing. I've always promised we'd get her another one and I've been on the search for ten years now. Until today I forget the string but up it appeared out of nowhere I was in utter disbelief it really exists ! I've attached some pictures of it in all it's glory.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

What I was hoping for members could help me with is nail down the key words for searching for one OR better yet you know where I might go to find one. It's my moms 65th Birthday this year and I was to make Christmas a time to relax, we've all been through the wringer (I speak for many Americans.)

So please ! Help me find this treasure and it make it a wonderful holiday season. Thank you in advance !

Side note I have contacted the eBay seller and through stealth searching found out who won and messaged him as well to see if he would be willing to sell it to me. I have my doubts about either of those coming to fruition so lend a guy a hand. :)
oel
co-admin

Re: What this one called ?

Post by oel »

Hi Lamusicaa,

Welcome to the forum.

Just a suggestion; why not take the pictures of the Navajo Indian 925 Silver Swastika Rolling Logs Arrows Bracelet to an Mexican / Navajo Indian/American silver smith and ask him to make an exact copy of the bracelet for you? For example Leroy Begay Navajo Silver and Goldsmith; http://www.leroybegay.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Regards,

Oel
lamusicaa

Post by lamusicaa »

I'm sorry for the multiple posts I was trying to edit while half asleep. Thank Ole it looks like it will require that, that;s a road I'm willing to take! I'm open to any suggestions. Keep em comin' :)
lamusicaa

Tribe

Post by lamusicaa »

Hi people,
So I've been searching non-stop and have come across nothing in terms of clues except this. (admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

I found this 'NAVAJO STERLING FRED HARVEY ERA STAMPE DESIGN WITH ARROWS , THE FOUR WINDS,MANY OTHER STAMPED DESIGNS , NAVAJO BRACLET C 1920'S 1/2 IN WIDE' They look rather similar in design but the second is missing some elements I really like on the original aka
(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Can anyone differentiate what specifically the different symbols are called ? Sadly I have not heard back from the Seller or Buyer regarding the original cuff bracelet but I figure I will give it until Tuesday or longer.

Does anyone have any other ideas ? I emailed Ole's recommendation haven't heard back from him yet. My next move would be to print out the cuff bracelet and start going to pawn shops and jewelry stores. That said I bet I would have better luck bringing the image to Navajo or other tribal jewelers/silver craftsmen. Last silly question, what might I search for online to find a tribal jeweler/silver craftsmen.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Ole after smoking his pipe says;

Native American Indian Design and Symbol Guide;
http://buckagram.com/buck/symbols/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
http://www.shannonthunderbird.com/symbo ... anings.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

http://www.whats-your-sign.com/sun-symbols.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

http://www.khandro.net/swastika.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

My advice is patience, relax and study; most answers you can find on the net and if you really want to posses the bracelet fast; have the bracelet made by a silver smith.

Regards,

Ole
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Wonder if Navajo or other southwest Native American silversmiths would be willing to produce a swastika-stamped piece (probably would).....can't recall seeing any modern NA silver with a swastika, but suppose the "forever more" ban on the symbol may be forgotten now - though it does seem that particular design, despite centuries of positive symbolism, has been permanently vilified.

Swastika decorated silver and other crafts were already falling out of favor in the late '30s, but in February of 1940, the Navajo, Papago, Apache, and Hopi Tribes (with some dissenters) drew up and signed a proclamation with an Xed-out swastika and the words quoted below, the signing was accompanied by the symbolic burning of swastika-decorated blankets, etc.

"Because the above ornament which has been a symbol of friendship among our forefathers for many centuries has been desecrated recently by another nation of peoples.
Therefore it is resolved that henceforth from this date on and forever more our tribes renounce the use of the emblem commonly known today as the swastika or fylfot on our blankets, baskets, art objects, sandpainting, and clothing."

~Cheryl

Return to “Native American Silver”