help with this please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mwhi42

help with this please

Post by mwhi42 »

Hi Everyone, new here and new to it all.i think I have found my new hobby.

Leer Germany 1945 found were 12 small teaspoons and a large serving spoon. 30 years ago my parents took them to Birks Canada only to reveal they were dutch, the spoon itself is shell with 5 notches along each wave line.The hallmarks as such

CB ( SQUARE ) with looks like a star under it within the square.
Lion facing right with a 2 under it
minervas head with looks like an "A ''
d pattern matches 1888.

Birks claims the shell portion is 24 carat gold, with I assume .833 silver stem.

maybe my first hobby should be computers as i am having difficulty uploading the pics....however, any info is appreciated

https://skydrive.live.com/?wa=wsignin1. ... 47B7%21198" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark
oel
co-admin

Re: help with this please

Post by oel »

Hi mwhi 42,

Welcome to the forum.
The maker’s mark CB in a square standing above a *. There are two possibilities; 1). Koninklijke Begeer Utrechtse Fabriek van Zilverwerk, registered 1868/1920.
2). Cornelis van Baaren, city of Schoonhoven, registered 1887/1911
Please check the Regional Assay Office letter in the Minerva head. If it is Begeer (my guess) the RAO letter could be a B for Utrecht. If the maker is van Baaren the RAO letter should be a M for Schoonhoven. If you positive about the RAO letter being an A it is for Amsterdam.

Lion Passant walking the right way with a 2 indeed for silver 833/1000 fineness.
Anyway you have a beautiful silver gilded set of dessert spoons.

Regards,

Oel
mwhi42

Re: help with this please

Post by mwhi42 »

thanks for your help...
appreciated

Return to “Dutch Silver”