19th century hallmarks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
agroupe

19th century hallmarks

Post by agroupe »

Found this box at a estate sale and am trying to ID it. Stands 4 1/2 inches high and 3 1/2 across the bottom. 182 grams
The first mark is Dutch for .934 with a key in it for export. It is upside down in relation to other marks.
The second is a "H" believe it to be date but can't find the exact mark in my books. Did see it on another piece where the owner said circa. 1890's. The closest H to it that I found could be 1817?
Third is small pointed rectangle with "H * P" . Makers Mark?
Fourth appears to be a sail boat. Assay office?
Fifth is what I think could be the mark for the town of Bergen. Town should have been Bergen Op Zoom.

Also on the lid were the initials E W R and the date 1896.

Any info will be appreciated. Phillip.
X
X
oel
co-admin

Re: 19th century hallmarks

Post by oel »

Hi Agroup,

Sorry to say but your H is not a date letter, and the sailing ship and look alike Amsterdam city mark (Andreas crosses) are all pseudo marks most probably made by the Firm Hooijkaas. Famous or infamous for this kind of output. Most probably made around the turn of the 19th century to satisfy the British/American hunger for old Dutch Guild silverware.
Please check the little lozenge like mark (=maker’s mark) in the middle for the letters and figures and let us know or perhaps check for:
Please check the box/tea caddy for a tiny little date letter and Assay office mark, those should be spread somewhere on the box.
Good luck,

Regards,
oel
co-admin

Re: 19th century hallmarks

Post by oel »

Hi Again,

Sorry you already mentioned the letters in the makers mark; H*P not Hooykaas this time but for: Hendrik Preijer, located in the Dutch city called Hoorn, registered 1896-1905

Regards,

Oel

Return to “Dutch Silver”