Taxco silversmith

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
emilyrosemary

Taxco silversmith

Post by emilyrosemary »

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read and look. I am seeking information on a ring I have from Taxco, Mexico (925). I am trying to find out who the silversmith was and cannot make out the stamp of the silversmith. The gem in the ring changes colors from purple to bright green in certain sunlight. It may be synthetic Alexandrite? The ring is maybe 4 carats. I am interested in any information or opinions on this ring. For the purpose of this forum, I am mainly interested in finding out who the silversmith is.

Thank you again,

Emily

emilyrosemary

Re: Taxco silversmith

Post by emilyrosemary »

Here are two more pics. Any information appreciated! Thank you!

Emily
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

The mark looks like it was mis-stamped and has the eagle mark over it. I have had several similar rings, it is synthetic/lab created Alexandrite, some were marked Sanchez, some J-S and some Faus, they all tend to do large marquis stone rings although this setting is a bit unusual. Hard to tell if the mark is one of those be but maybe it will give you something to look into.
emilyrosemary

Post by emilyrosemary »

Thank you! A very good lead, indeed. I had not considered a mis-stamping. The stamp is very elaborate, unlike most marks I have seen. Sometimes I see a "4M" in it, which makes no sense- TM? followed by a symbol I cannot make out. I was kind of hoping that the very last portion of the intricate symbol was a William Spratling stamp. I wonder what the meaning behind a mis-stamping would be. I had originally thought the ring to be crafted between 1935-1945 because of the 925 stamp and no "sterling" stamp, but had not considered that the stamp of the eagle to be on this piece and will look into it. Where time frame would you consider? I will continue digging. Any other thoughts appreciated.

Much thanks!

Emily
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

I bet it's Faus R, here is one of the Alexandrite rings I had by that name, I never found any further info. Notice the X in Taxco is the same. I see the eagle 3 at the far right of the mark, covering it, so that dates it 55-79 but my guess would be 70's.
emilyrosemary

Post by emilyrosemary »

Yes, I see the eagle mark now when I turn the ring. The bezel on my ring is very different from the one you posted. I am seeking out further examples of Faus R stamps online now and possibly rings with bezels similar to mine. Thank you! You have been a tremendous help. I have dedicated myself to the investigation of my ring.

Emily
emilyrosemary

Post by emilyrosemary »

ANY OTHER COMMENTS OR IDEAS? I AM STILL NOT RESOLVED, STILL SEEKING OPINIONS, HUNCHES, INCLINATIONS!

THANK YOU,

EMILY

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”