R M on small buckle of around 1730 -1740

1700 - 1830

Moderators: MCB, buckler

buckler

R M on small buckle of around 1730 -1740

Post by buckler »

Found on a small buckle, either a large knee buckle or a small shoe buckle with a probable London Lion Passant Guardant of the 1720 —1740 period
I can find no marks in Grimwade that match this mark for London. However the dating of 1720 —1740 is supported by the owners initials of I E , with a barred I, which on spoons was apparently in common use from at least the late 17th century until the mid 18th and is not found later.

I personally think it is London - the style and execution just feel wrong for provincial, but this is only a gut feel.
The only provincial possibilty seems to be Robert Makepeace although none of his marks in Gill are similar. However the first of his recorded marks is on the Newcastle copperplate in the 1728 to 1730 period and it is known that Makepeace was working earlier than that date.
davesays

Re: RM mark - around 1730 -1740

Post by davesays »

Hallo! Saw this post and thought you might be interested in the following. Some years ago I made a small contribution to the "new" Jacksons. This was on Guildford silversmiths and I still hope to publish a more definitive work on the subject.. Among the research of many years ago I made copies of a number of invoices of Richard Meddin.(RM) His invoice dated 13 September 1734 To Sir More Mulanex (sic) contains the following entry. Sept 2 1735 ffor one pair silver Knee buckles .......... Next entry 19 (September?) 1735 ffor one pair silver Knee buckles............ Unfortunatly there is hole in the paper at just these entries which loses the amounts in a long bill totaling £6 9s 6d. The Guildford Muniment Room reference then was LM 1087/XV1 /637. These archives are now in the Surrey History Centre at Woking. Hope this is of interest. It would be nice to think the mark you so beautifully illustrate was that of Richard Meddin. Best wishes, davesays
buckler

Re: RM mark - around 1730 -1740

Post by buckler »

Interesting thought. Guildford is not far from London, via the Wey and Thames or even by road. Could have been assayed in London for Richard Meddin by a friend and the Assay Office failed to realise that the mark was not registered . Despite Goldsmiths Hall's protestations I really do not believe that they checked each item against the register if they knew the man bringing it in. Or more likely his apprentices. Or someone bought them a drink or so.

Another thought is that the Assay Lion was a homemade punch.

Return to “London Lost Registers & Unrecorded Marks”