Native American Cuff

Navajo, Zuni & Hopi
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
NancyCaroline

Native American Cuff

Post by NancyCaroline »

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum, but have used this invaluable site for many years. Many thanks!

I have a cuff bracelet that I believe is Native American, and am hoping someone can provide maker information.

http://gallery.me.com/nancypigtunia#100443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any help is appreciated.
Best, Nancy
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Re: Native American Cuff

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

Nope, it's not Native American, it's factory made by Carol Felley Designs. The 86 is the year it was made. I'm not sure about the other mark, it may be of a Native designer who worked for her, like Relios/Carolyn Pollack uses NA designers. They still don't qualify as NA since they weren't made by them.
NancyCaroline

Post by NancyCaroline »

Hi, Thanks for the very helpful info, I spent several hours over the last few months trying to figure this one out. Much appreciated.
Best, Nancy
In Over Her HeAD

Post by In Over Her HeAD »

Hello,

I just found this wonderful site and plan on visiting often to soak up Yall's knowledge. I realize this original posting is old so am hoping it is ok to revisit. I thank everyone in advance for any input. I hope my post is not too long.

I love the Native American and Mexico made jewelry. In particular the vintage pieces. At this point, I am studying and researching but I have to make a decision based on what a dealer tells me (if I believe or not) , or if I am looking in a showcase in the antique mall, by what limited knowledge I have. So...my steps are this....

I have my jewelers loop. I always look to see if it is marked in some way (925 - craftsmans mark, location (MEXICO) etc. I Look at the stones, how they are set. Do they seem to be traditional type of stone used in similar pieces. Are they cracked dull or otherwise damaged. I know there is certainly a difference in Native American turquoise vs the imported "junk/cheap" stones. I do the best I can there.

My question here is since I am new at this. what would be my tell tail sign this posts bracelet is mass produced/manufactored? Now my guess it would be the copyright symbol first off. Then, in my limited experience I can't really tell if a stone is glass,CZ, ruby or diamond. (But I am working on that knowledge.) How ever, I am always hesitant {wrong or right) to consider something to be vintage/new or authentic "hand crafted" with a stone like what is shown in these pictures. Am I correct in my thinking on all this so far?

What might be the forum members tips for me and/or a good basic resource book or site to gain the basic info I need to make smart purchases. I buy for me,. I might sell it later, but I buy it to wear. I purchased a squash blossom necklace and immediately had buyers regret. Not knowing if I had a "good" authentic piece or did it come from ASIA... It was a newer piece and I have seen several that appeared to be the same.

Thanks So Much For Your Time.

Lynn

Return to “Native American Silver”