too partial marks?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
paulb4

too partial marks?

Post by paulb4 »

I've tried every angle and combination I can think of and gotten nowhere. Thanks so much.
09_20_9.JPEG
09_20_5.JPEG
user701
contributor

Re: too partial marks?

Post by user701 »

The marks look (to me) to be German silver marks.

If that is an F in a circle the maker could be Friedrich Feuerstein Hanau active early 20th C.

http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_marks_a1884_2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, from left: halfmoon, crown, 800 for silver of German origin. F in a circle is the maker's mark: German cutlery manufacturer Felisch und Kirchheim, city of Treptow/Rega, today Trzebiatow, Poland. Founded in 1873, production was discontinued during the last years of the Second World War and never resumed. The company called itself the biggest manufacturer of handbeaten cutlery in Germany. Which probably meant that it was the last to introduce modern machinery in cutlery production. The last owner of Felisch und K. fled to Western Germany were he died in the 1950ies. The mark on the right hand side is that of a retailer. Looks like H. Löwensohn. Don't know who that could be. Best wishes, Bahner

(A note: The "F" in a circle as shown here in the German marks section is not the mark of Fr. Feuerstein from Hanau. His mark is a "F" in a very thick double circle and was used on chains and jewellery only. It was not used on cutlery).
silverport
contributor

Post by silverport »

A spoons application with a Hebraic based history?

Hello »paulb4«

The spoon, much frayed at the bowls tip by a right handed human, has as engraved name: »Rahel«; that’s a name of Hebraic tradition (hebr. Rachel רחל).

The spoon is marked in conformity of the German rules, in force from 1 January 1888 on.

I’ve searched for a possible retailer — because the worn name punch is a retailer marking (»a kind of free of charge advertising “on the spot of use”«).

I’ve found some retailers names in a Professionals Address Guide of 1903 = 15 year time span between 1888-1903.

[But in this case always without detailed addresses]:

In Tilsit (34,500 residents, Province “East Prussia”) [now: Sowetsk, russ. Советск, in the Russian exclave Kaliningrad]:
H. Loewenson [in German writings it was/is also usual, to write “oe” instead of “ö”]

In Gumbinen (14,000 residents, district capital [of Tilsit too], Province “East Prussia”) [now: Gusiew, russ. Гусев, in the Russian exclave Kaliningrad]:
L. Löwenson

In Thorn (29,600 residents, Province „West Prussia“) [now in Poland; pol. ToruÅ„]:
M. Loewenson, Inh. (owner) Heinr[ich]. Loewenson

In Inowrazlaw, Province Posen [Poznan] (26,100 residents, Province „West Prussia“) [now in Poland; pol. InowrocÅ‚aw]:
Jos[eph]. Loewensohn

For reason, that the spoon is much worn, and maybe before also the retailers name punch, I tend to read:
»H.Löwenson«. But in German writings it was/is also usual, to write “oe” instead of “ö”.

I tend to state, that the retailer of this spoon was very likely: H. Loewenson, of Tilsit.

Kind regards silverport

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”