Is it a known item?

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
Okapi

Is it a known item?

Post by Okapi »

Good morning everybody on the forum, it's my first post, and please, excuse my english, it's not my mother's tongue, I'm living in french speaking Switzerland and be a silver collector since a long time.
Here is an item I've found years ago, 160mm. in length and 36mm. high, and never seen another one, does somebody knows what it is, I put the hall marks if it can give you more precisions, it's silver at more than 900/1000 (acid controlled)?
Thanks for your help.
Pierre

Image-1

Image-2
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Great look here.
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8522" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Pierre,

Welcome to the Forum.

Also see: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16597" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards Trev.
Okapi

Post by Okapi »

Thanks a lot, then it's a cake saw, this is really not the better tool you can imagine for that purpose…
For the hallmarks, it's the same as on your example dognose, I never find the origin, but it's silver, not plated.
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

Or bread saw?
podge

Post by podge »

I am pretty sure it`s a Sugar Saw, up until the start of the 20th century Sugar was sold as a "sugar loaf" you had to cut lumps off it
Okapi

Post by Okapi »

I'm not certain about a sugar saw, I've seen sugar in cones when young, and it's really too hard for that purpose, thanks for your idea.
Gadolin?

Re: Is it a known item?

Post by Gadolin? »

Letter opener?
Okapi

Post by Okapi »

Thanks Gadolin, but it seems it's really a cake saw, the documentation send by Dognose is in that direction .
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

It took some time but now I have the answer. It is a Russian пилка для лимона i.e. lemon saw. I found it in Aleksandr Katch's list of products of 1910. The marks of the trade mark of Aleksandr Katch from left, AK the initials of Aleksandr Katsch, GP between the heads means Galvano Plated. The saw is plated with a thick layer of silver. the base material is called "melchior metall", which is an old almost forgotten alloy. The Frenchmen Maillot and Chorier "reinvented" it and the name "melchior" is the phonetic name of their names. The alloy contains 5-30% of nickel about 1% of iron, about 1% of manganese and the rest is copper. It is a white metal alloy very well suited for electroplating with silver. Below you see my similar saw.
Okapi

Post by Okapi »

Thanks Qrt, it seems to be the same model as mine, it's interesting to have two documented versions of the use, it's not a current item at all.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

You're welcome Okapi, here you have some proves of what it is. You can skip the other alternatives.
Image Image

Have a nice day

PS I revert to the niello case later.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Qrt.S, now that's a good job of getting to the bottom of things with documentation.
It would be nice if we could all do that all the time, myself included, especially. Thank you!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes Silverly it would indeed, but unfortunately that is close to mission impossible. This catalog was on its way to the dump when I happen to see it and took care of it. It was a pure coincident.

Have a nice day now when the case is solved. Here is really nice, close to -20°C

Qrt.S
Okapi

Post by Okapi »

Thanks again for the documentation, I have this item since a long time and nobody can say me before what's can be used for.

Return to “Mystery Objects”