Norway solid silver spoon with unidentified marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
lantov

Norway solid silver spoon with unidentified marks

Post by lantov »

Hello all,
I recently acquired a heavy Norway souvenir spoon, depicting scene of the cathedral in SKIEN/Norway, that carries a lot of marks, but except [NM], which should identify it as Norwegian patent, I can not identify the other marks by publicly available sources of silver marks.
Here is the front view of the whole spoon:

Here is photo of the marks only:

Your suggestions to trace maker & period are much appreciated!
Thanks, Leven
JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

Hi Leven and welcome to the forum,

I am sorry to say that this spoon is silver plated.

Best regards/JAKJO
lantov

Post by lantov »

Hello Jakjo,
Thanks for the hint, I'll definitely test it with a silver testing solution and will post my finding, but it looks so solid and polished very well with no signs of plate loss.
Could you decipher the marks anyway?
Thanks, Leven
JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

Hi,

The number "40" is the amount of silver needed to plate 24 items in grams (g). NM as you said Norsk Mønster.

I am afraid that I can't help you with the maker's mark.

Best regards/JAKJO
JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

Hi,

I may well be proven wrong but KH (right mark) is Kristian M Hestenes in Bergen. The 20th century Norwegian makers are not one of my strongest areas.

Best regards/JAKJO
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Just want to confirm Jakjo's assessment, silverplate and the mark is that of Gullsmedfirma K. Hestenes A/S of Bergen.

Regards, Tom
lantov

Post by lantov »

Just a followup - I tested the spoon with a silver testing solution 4 times at one and the same place (testing, washing, drying, polishing and testing again). All 4 times the reaction was for silver!
I have seen how the testing solution changes color on silverplate: 1-2 seconds after the acid reacts with the silver layer, the color changes from red to brown (or even deeper, depending on the underlying metal). On deeply silverplated items, first test shows only silver, but the second time the acid goes to the underlying metal and changes the color. Therefore I test always twice and always on a same place. All my experiments on silverplate show on 1st or 2nd time. I have never seen silverplate that can withstand acid treatment 4 consecutive times!!!
Does anybody have explanation on that inline with previous posts?
Thanks to all for their valuable feedback!
Regards, Leven
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

**cringing at multiple acid attacks on this poor spoon** Have collected Scandinavian souvenir spoons for many years, and can say that for some reason, their silverplating is exceptionally well done and quite sturdy. Your marks clearly identify this piece as being plated rather than solid silver, but if you still have doubts, might suggest having it tested via a specific gravity scale at a jeweler or coin dealer who uses that non-destructive and much more reliable method.

~Cheryl
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Link to 'Salmoned's instructions for the specific gravity test:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev.
silverport
contributor

Holy calf »Acid proof«

Post by silverport »

Hello lantov

It wasn’t your best invest of have buy a flask of acid — look out where you could fit your flask in your show case, with a sign on it »ACID DESTROY«; and start your »Acid free« live time, just now!

Plated silver goods most times are plated with silver of .999 pure fineness — if you control a plated surface, so you ever would have a better result as from articles of a solid silver alloy. If you make the proof on places of enlarged silver plated thicknesses — e.g. on wear and tear area of cutlery —, you would get also a better result. But why you like to be further more, one of these thousands of sadist’ on Antiquities?

Very often in published offer of be “Solid silver” Antiquities is stated »Jewellers proof« or »Acid proofed«. But in an additional photo they show marks, which very often are »Plated« marks, e.g. »EP« or »EPNS«.

One of these sellers wrote to me: »Yes, information is priceless in 925-1000. But my time is my money which I loss, if I spend time to read there these topics of interest«.

Our brain and our eyes are every time with us — let’s fill up them with knowledge on silver.

dragonflywink suggest one of the very reliable and non destructive methods.

»925-1000« seem to me, never loss their importance!

Maybe in contrary to these ever lasting acid attacks, we need a collection or thread of topics on non destructive proof methods?

Kind regards silverport
lantov

Post by lantov »

Thanks to everybody that gave valuable feedback to my problem!
Just as a small excuse I would say that I'm a MSc in Chemistry although I work in completely different field for a number of years and it was a kind of old habit ..:-(
Don't get me wrong - I could think of a more destructive handy chemical methods of testing but they would for sure destroy the spoon.
I will forget of my acid tester. If I'm in doubt of any other item, I'll first go through the website (like I did in this case with no positive result) and then rely on your help.
Thanks once again!
Best Regards, Leven

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”