Ramsey Spoon Maker

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Granmaa
co-admin

Ramsey Spoon Maker

Post by Granmaa »

Some Fiddle pattern egg spoons made in Exeter in 1840. The maker's mark consists of only a surname: Ramsey.
There are two Ramseys listed in Jackson's: a Jonathan Ramsey 1829-31, and an Edward Ramsey 1845-57. They are both from Devonport (a district south-west of Exeter), so it's quite likely that they are related. Jackson's also has this mark illustrated and attributed to Edward Ramsey in the 1841-42 section. Just what are this silversmiths' dates?

Miles

paulh
contributor

Ramsey

Post by paulh »

Hello Miles.

I don’t know if this will help or just add to the confusion, but Richard S. Rendell in his work of 1979 records this “RAMSEY” mark from a spoon in his collection, dated 1853.

Paul.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

That must surely be Edward Ramsey.
Paul, I'm not familiar with that author. What is the title of the book?

Miles
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Hello Miles,

Sorry I missed out the first name. It was Edward. Is it possible that “RAMSEY” could be overstruck on another mark?

The work I referred to is called “West Country Goldsmiths Mark”. It is probably an unpublished work by a Richard S. Rendell” who seems to have compiled it from various West Country silver collections and resources.

Paul.
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Miles,
My maker's mark list shows Edward Ramsey's dates as 1840-59.
The initial entry was taken from Jackson's and has been extended by reference to assayed spoons I've seen with this mark with the date letters for 1840 and 1859.
Family Search web site shows an Edward Ramsey born in Devonport in 1812 and living in Stoke Damerel, Devon at the time of the 1881 Census where he is described as a retired jeweller.
Regards,
Mike
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

I don't think the mark is an overstrike.
Thank you both for your replies.

Miles
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Link to the trade card of Ramsey of Devonport:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/s ... umpages=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is that 51, Fore Street?

Trev.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here's a nice article from the Devonport town website.
http://devonportonline.co.uk/history/ar ... amsey.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Exeter Hallmarks”