Romanian Bread Tray Silver Mark Variant 1906-1937

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
historydetective

Romanian Bread Tray Silver Mark Variant 1906-1937

Post by historydetective »

Below are pics of a Romanian bread tray I own that is 16 inches by 7.5 inches with a purity mark that is slightly different from the Romania purity mark shown at the bottom of page 344 of "Tardy's International Hallmarks on Silver" that was used between 1906 and 1937; instead of an "A" at the bottom with the "II" marks, this tray's mark has a "P" with the "II" marks, and additionally, there is the letter "P" within the right side of the crown. The P within the crown is hard to see in these pics. What do the P's stand for? I should also note that there doesn't appear to be a maker's mark, unless the additional P within the crown is somehow indicative of a particular maker. The tray weighs about 19 Troy Ounces. The provenance also links it to the Transylvania area of Romania.

Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, the letter is that of the assay office, "A" would be for Bucuresti, the others for the provincial offices. No clue, where "P" is, though. Best wishes, Bahner
historydetective

Post by historydetective »

I did find a website that shows similar Romanian hallmarks and discusses assay office letters other than "A." but not "P." The website discusses WWII medals; here is the link: http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=3147" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Other Countries”