Help with d FRAGET

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
carla21

Help with d FRAGET

Post by carla21 »

Hi,

I am having trouble dating this flatware and I am not certain about the manufacturer. I cannot find any info about "d FRAGET". The knives are marked <BF> FRAGET <BM>. If anyone can help me date and attribute this flatware, I would be more than grateful. I have been researching for weeks. Also, if you knew the pattern name, that would be great too!

Many thanks,

Carla

PS. Would this be chrome or silverplate? It is very shiny and reflective.

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Carla,

Fraget is a Polish company established in 1824 and still in business today. They are prolific makers of flatware.

In 1961 they merged with Henneberg Brothers and became known as Hefra S.A.

Trev.
silverport
contributor

«FRAGET» (1825-1925) Centenary Cutlery?

Post by silverport »

Hello Carla21

If it’s in fact that you’ve been researching for weeks? Oh! Then you’ve punished yourself! Why?

You’ve placed on 20 April 2009 a question «Help ID 800 Silver mark» Already next day — and not a long while later which sometimes is necessary to find out and then after put in words an answer - you’ve got two very informative answer to yours question. But maybe never you’ve read them? «Bahner» e.g. made you already attend on «FRAGET» and “MET” punch signification.

First part punch is a Polish abbreviation which signification actually I don’t know — I guess: Maybe an abbreviation for «I stulecie» = 100 year’s FRAGET (name punch you know already). «MET» punch — «Bahner» has already explained its general signification.

BF and BM integrated in diamond frame on flatware and hollowware (in yours case on knife handle) are normally signification on used body and/or surface material. I haven’t actually notices available to these FRAGET punches — BM signification by competitors is: secondary quality e.g. «Britannia Metal» or Brass Metal.

From photo's it’s often difficult to identify material — you mentioned: «It is very shiny and reflective»

Well it could be chrome-plated! Because after WW I were introduced cutlery made full (body and blade) in stainless steel. Only a few competitors had licences therefore. Solution was since long time before WW I nickel-plating or then after chrome-plating. Yours objects maybe chrome-plated?

FRAGET was 1825 (some indicate 1824) founded in Warsaw by French silversmith Alfons Fraget. During Russian supremacy Fraget was Koch & Bergfeld, Bremen “door” to Russian Imperia. 1919 by treaty of Versailles Poland got independence from Russia.

1925 (or maybe 1924) centenary (Polish: stulecie) of FRAGET — yours objects could be their centenary model from an early period of Alfons Fraget?

Maybe place photos and question to their «Archiwum»:

«hefra» SA Warzawska Fabrika Platerów
Ogrodowa 7
00-893 Warszawa, Poland
T. +48 22 620 81 29
http://www.hefra.pl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But never (!!!) forget to place the answer as an addition to yours actually «925-1000» question! Other wise it would be similar to have had help by real friends but never help them too.

Kind regards silverport
silverport
contributor

«Fraget» "Duchy of Warsaw" = "Księstwo War

Post by silverport »

Hello Carla

If you chose the English Version of http://www.hefra.pl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and touch below the top HEFRA symbol a button «DESIGN» there you would find the whole range of cutlery pattern they have - maybe only the best sale range of FRAGET and HENNEBERG (had former German ancestors too, like WERNER).

First pattern shown is "Duchy of Warsaw" (additional photo could be enlarged) - and they explain there:

Antique order and romantic passion — this flatware express, what in the beginning of XIX century dominated in Polish culture: love for classicistic forms connected with blooming romanticism. They have slender curves and perfectly balanced proportions alluding to popular in antiquity shape of laurel leaf. Smooth surface of the handle adds simplicity and elegance, they ideally match table for every occasion.

It's available in: Silver 925, high-polish finish; silver plated 999, 60 to 150 grams, high-polish finish.

Last pattern shown is "Venus" - an interpretation of "Duchy of Warsaw" in stainless - and they explain:

Their shape resembles the Duchy of Warsaw design. It is elegant and simple with slender line and smooth surface. Their ideally balanced proportions remind of popular in antiquity laurel leaf. They are comfortable in use, even everyday.

It's available in: Stainless Steel, high-polish finish.

An additional remark of me to in yours first photo shown first punch:

I guess the minuscule letter d signification is «decenium» = century.

Another additional remark: I haven't spend weeks as you have spend to find out «Nothing! »

Good research you could learn only by attempt of serious research.

Kind regards silverport
silverport
contributor

«FRAGET» " "Księstwo Warszawskie" = "

Post by silverport »

Hello Carla

My d remark isn't correct - but actually I don't know a correct interpretation out of Polish language.

My practice of Polish I've had from my nanny - that has saved my life in 1945 expulsion when children were murdered because they were German.

Kind regards silverport
carla21

Post by carla21 »

Hi and thank you for all of the help!

Please know that I too researched Hefra's website but was not certain this was a product of theirs because all other research I did, referred to Fraget as "Fraget MB Plaque". I do not know what this means so I wasn't sure. I also emailed Hefra NUMEROUS times, over the course of a couple of weeks, with not 1 single reply! So, then I posted my question.

Again, my most sincere thanks!

Carla
Stantheman

Post by Stantheman »

Hi everyone,

d. is abbreviation of dawniej (in polish means: earlier). People were used to Fraget mark and after the 1945 the new company showed in this way their connection with prewar Fraget company.
Stantheman

Post by Stantheman »

One more thing

BM stands for Biały Metal which was a metal alloy invented by the Fraget Company. Biały Metal means White Metal which suggested that it has similar coulour to silver and if silverplate gets rubbed it will not be so visible. Earlier they used copper and brass aloys to produce silverplated items.

Best regards.
Stantheman

Post by Stantheman »

The sign to the left is not full. It should show letters WSW, which I means something like: Wytwórnia Sreber w Warszawie or Wytwórnia Srebrnych Wyrobów. I don't know exactly. Anyway I believe it's new brand of this producer before Hefra was established.
Stantheman

Re: Help with d FRAGET

Post by Stantheman »

In Poland there were few silverplating compannies. The biggest one was Fraget, he started his business in early 1830. Pieces from this period are quite rare.

Next big company is Norblin, that started production right after Fraget. The third biggest company was Henneberg. Next worth mentioning was Plewkiewicz, taken over by WMF and Br. Buch.

There were many other smaller silverplating companies such as: Jarra, Szekman, Br. Klotz, Persyko, Jan Zegrze, A. Kummer and many others small firms often run by Jewish silversmiths in Warsaw. Their items were usually of rather poor quality.

The mark that you mentioned was struck on the Fraget pieces in about 1850- 1859.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”