Help with Identification of Maker's Mark/Hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
briolette

Help with Identification of Maker's Mark/Hallmark

Post by briolette »

Hello, I am wondering if someone here might be able to assist me in the identification of the hallmark/copyright insignia/maker's mark shown in the first, attached photo (please click to enlarge). As best I can describe it - it's a reversed dollar sign, with only a single hash mark through it, as opposed to two. It is stamped onto the bottom of each, tiny charm strung onto my sterling silver, heishi-fetish-styled jewelry shown in the second photo.

I don't believe that these pieces were formally produced by NA hands, but I am assuming they were fabricated by one of the Southwestern jewelry houses. I had presumed all along that they were Kabana pieces, based on their Wildlife Collection in production at that time, but they informed me recently that they are not. They did, however, suggest that they might have been made by Steven Stacy of Sundancer, but upon contacting them, they too informed me that that wasn't the case.

I purchased these pieces in Tucson, AZ, in 1994, at the jewelry show. The vendor that I purchased them from, American Silver, doesn't appear to be around any longer.

I would appreciate any help you can offer. If you are unable to identify it, can you, please, direct me to someone who might be able to. Thank you, in advance, for your time and assistance...briolette

ImageImage
weetziebat

Post by weetziebat »

I am looking for the same mark as well. It's on a silver snake ring and a silver ring with a blue stone. It has a copyright sign beside it and says sterling. If anyone can figure this one out it would be great because i've been looking everywhere
briolette

Post by briolette »

Well, yay, weetziebat. I was beginning to worry that I was a "lone soldier" out here, the only one with any sort of jewelry with this hallmark. Indeed, it does have a copyright insignia adjacent to it, along with a .925, sterling stamp. I've been emailing jewelers and posting to boards all over the internet and am quite frankly stunned that no one seems to recognize it at all - it's so distinctive. And, I hope this is true of your pieces, as well, weetziebat, the jewelry that I have is extraordinarily, well made - the detail is second to none. I will persevere, intent on finding out who the Maker is, and I promise to post back, if I turn up anything. And, please, if anyone else has a clue...help!
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello.

I believe that mark was used by George Schuler & Company of Pleasantville, New York.
Founded c.1908. Acquired by Krementz & Company in 1965.
They made a lot of jewelry for Tiffany.

George Schuler & Company was associated with Performed Parts Inc. also of Pleasantville New York.
They used a similar mark

Pat.
briolette

Post by briolette »

Pat!!! That's it!!! You are my new hero...thank you, thank you, thank you!! I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but can you recommend any reference material on G. Schuler & Co.?
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

You are welcome. Glad I could help.

Usually I recomend Dorothy Rainwater's book "American Jewelry Manufacturers".
However, she does not show George Schuler & Company's mark. Only says the firm was founded c.1908 and was associated with Performed Parts Inc.

The top scan with his name and mark came from a list of jewelry trademarks from the U.S. Trademark Database.

Forgot to mention that trademark was first used in 1948.

Pat.
briolette

Post by briolette »

Pat, you're still my hero, I can't thank you enough! In doing some preliminary research, Krementz appears to have subsumed so many different companies after acquiring Schuler that it's going to be difficult to ferret out just which one may have inherited the trademark. Particularly now that it's been sold off in pieces. I'll keep digging, though, and will post back.
weetziebat

Ah help.

Post by weetziebat »

Oh shoot! I just looked at mine again an noticed the s isn't backwards! It's the exact same symbol as yours but looks like this $ Does anyone know what that one is???
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No doubt the same firm, if you'll have a look at the original mark image posted, the 925 is reversed on that one. These are high production cast pieces, if the marking tag attached to the original model is applied upside down, hundreds (thousands?) are produced that way.

Regards, Tom
briolette

Post by briolette »

Tom...I feel like such a nincompoop!!! Based on your comment, I've just inverted my photo to reveal that, indeed, the symbol has not been stamped in the reverse of the dollar sign at all. A dollar sign might well be what it's meant to represent. weetziebat, I've posted a new "right side up" photo here so that you can see that we're, in fact, talking about the same mark.

Tom, is it your feeling that these pieces hail from the Pacific Rim?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Hard to say whether they were outsourced or not, but it wouldn't really matter. The marks were not stamped, they would have been on little wax plaques applied or inset on the original wax models of the figures. Do not believe it is a $, but two conjoined "P"s - for Performed Parts.

Regards, Tom
briolette

Post by briolette »

Thank you, Tom, for your kindness in helping. So, please forgive my ignorance, but, in a nutshell - commercial jewelry, commercial company? In that event, is it even a worthwhile quest to want to know of this Maker? If so, do you have any suggestions for researching Performed Parts further?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
There is no clear answer to your question, whether a maker or piece is worth researching, or not, is purely a subjective concept. Basically, the time spent is worth it, if its worth it to you. I've spent years trying to track down obscure marks of makers that virtually no one will ever care about, but I enjoy it... so it is worth it to me.

Regards, Tom
briolette

Post by briolette »

Thank you for that response, Tom, it was kindly diplomatic, for I still venture to know a thing or two about this jewelry. And, speaking of Performed Parts, it would seem that they are behind-the-scenes producers for other labels. Any suggestions on where I might go next to research them? I, truly, don't want to become a nuisance here, I'm just directionless, and could honestly use some at this point.
NMPaul

Post by NMPaul »

I too would love to know more about PP but i cant seem to find anything out about them on google. I assume they are no longer in existence ?

Paul
briolette

Post by briolette »

NMPaul, this has been one, difficult nut to crack! Unfortunately, I have peered under just about every internet rock I can think of, with zero luck. Thus far, the only thing that has returned, lending any credence to the name is this, and it is sketchy, at best:

http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/pair ... qfr1i1infr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Never fear, I will persevere, and whatever I turn up I promise to post back, and I sure hope that everyone else will do the same.

wwtfn
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Any suggestions on where I might go next to research them?
Briolette,
Apologies, meant to answer right away - but someone waved something shiny in front of me and that always knocks me off track.

It is usually easier to find info on older companies where previous researchers have already left a trail to follow. In this case you are on the right track as far as the internet goes. Outside of that, there are libraries specializing in utility and design patents, as well as trademarks, but these are generally only located in large cities, New York and Washington are the only two I know of, but I'm sure there are more. You might also try the local Pleasantville library to see if they have anything on file as the company was located there. There also seems to be a record of companies they subcontracted for, contacting these could possibly bear some fruit.
Hope this helps.
Tom
briolette

Post by briolette »

LOL...not a problem admin, I, too, suffer from bright-n-shiny-itis!!!

And, I thank you for the guidance. It just so happens that I live in suburban Wash., D.C., and I am planning a trek into the city, as we speak, with a trusted friend. I dare say, we ought to find some really good rocks to upturn there!

I promise to post whatever I'm able to find. As you can see, I'm a pretty chatty sort, and will enjoy doing so.

Thanks again...regards to all...wwtfn
weetziebat

Post by weetziebat »

Good luck. I'm hoping you find something. :)
weetziebat

Post by weetziebat »

My rings with that mark.

X
X

Return to “American Jewelry”