Pair of Couiles International Silver Co. 3-arm candelabras

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jenlyeng001

Pair of Couiles International Silver Co. 3-arm candelabras

Post by jenlyeng001 »

Hello to all! I had acquired a pair of 3-arm candelabras. I know they are silver, but not too sure if they are sterling. To start, I can't find the name Couiles anywhere, which is the first item involved in the markings. Underneath the name, there is a crown shaped emblem. On the top, this emblem has what looks like 3 cylindrical leaves with maybe the tips are folded forward. The reason I say leaves is because there is a center vertical line and the slanted lines you would see on a leaf. This comes straight up off the crown headpiece. What would be the headpiece itself is a little hard to explain. In the center, it looks like a basic horizontal line that begins to round out at the edges and then trails down with a wavy ribbon on the sides. The ends of the ribbon are cut in the middle to create that "V" decoration. So the crown mark has been established. Inside this crown-like emblem, there is small box shape with the capital letters "IS". Underneath that is written "International Silver Company". Something to note, the crown-like emblem isn't completely enclosed on all sides. The bottom is not closed. I do have pictures, but the markings are very light and I'm not so sure that they would be seen in a photo.

I have searched for a similar pattern to my candelabras and there are so many that look similar. Not to mention that there are not too many candelabras to compare. What seemed like the closest pattern was the Prelude by International Silver Company. The leaf shapes were different, my pattern seems to have a bit more of a flowing edge, where the Prelude pattern had more pointy/sharp edges. My pattern has a 5 petal flower design, but I believe the Prelude pattern shares that similarity.

This is an identical pair of candelabra and each one weighs 3 pounds. Their heights are 11 inches and the width from the first candle cup to third is 11 1/2 inches. The base is almost 5 inches wide. Each candle cup is 2 5/8 inches tall.

Hopefully all this information helps whoever can help me find out more about these candelabras! Thanks to all!

http://c.imagehost.org/0293/Candelabra_full_view.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://c.imagehost.org/0375/candelabras_hallmark.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(admin photo edit - please do not add coding to display images, your pictures are way too large, just paste in the address and they will show as links)
jenlyeng001

Pair of Couiles International Silver 3-arm candelabra

Post by jenlyeng001 »

To all that see my post, I am so sorry that my images were too big when I originally posted this. I am replying to my own post to include much smaller pictures. I appreciate the site admin for editing my original post to include only the url links, but when I clicked on the link, the pictures were still way too large. I know that you can click on the image to get the larger view, but to view them that large first is a bit overwhelming. The smaller pictures are much easier on the eyes to look at first. The second picture is the close up of the markings that I described in the original post. I hope this helps and again I am truly sorry!
Sincerely, Jenny

ImageImage
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello.

If it is not marked sterling or .925, then it is silverplated.
I believe International Silver started using that mark around 1940. Not sure how long they used it, probably till about 1970.

Can't help with the pattern. Don't know what the name Couiles refers to.

Pat.
jenlyeng001

Post by jenlyeng001 »

Thank you so much Pat for giving me that information about the hallmark used by International Silver. I am curious to know why I am not able to locate these hallmarks myself. Do you have the liberty to tell me how you were able to identify the approximate time frame that International Silver used that particular hallmark? I have searched and searched and searched some more with absolutely no results with any search I did. That is probably the most frustrating aspect of trying to research my own silver. I will try and research more on the retailer, Couiles, if that is what that name indicates. Thanks again and be blessed.
Sincerely, Jenny
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hi Jenny.

These are just my opinions. I used different sources to put these ideas together.

From the early 1920's ( Dorothy Rainwater's book) to the late 1930's International Silver often used the half cicle mark.

Your mark is not shown in the 1934 "Jeweler's Index", but the half cicle marks are.
Edward P. Hogan's book indicates that many of the original companies trademarks were retired in the late 1930's.
Your mark is in " A Century of Silver" that was published in 1947.

I believe about the time (1968) they became Insilco they began using the mark below:
http://www.internationalsilver.com/aboutus/timeline.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this makes sense.
Pat.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Just a thought.
Believe it may say Court, not couiles. Court Silver Plate was a trademark used by International.
Regards, Tom
jenlyeng001

Post by jenlyeng001 »

Hi again, Pat! Alright, so if I understand correctly, the mark was not in the Jeweler's Index (1934), but it was in the A Century of Silver (1947). So if the mark that is on my set of candelabra is in the A Century of Silver book, it must have been made and stamped before that book was published. Which pretty much dates them to have been made somewhere after the Jeweler's Index was published in 1934 and before the A Century of Silver was published in 1947. Am I correct in assuming this? I am beginning to understand all of this, but I still ask for forgiveness of my lack of knowledge.
Thanks, Jennifer
jenlyeng001

Post by jenlyeng001 »

Hi Tom! You know, I looked and looked at the name over and over myself. At first, I thought it was Coulles. After what seemed like and endless search of that name (which I got no results whatsoever), I took a closer look and saw that it was spelled as Couiles. I don't know if you're able to see the "es" at the end of the name on the picture that I submitted for the hallmarks. That part of the stamp is fairly light and is probably why I thought it said Coulles instead of Couiles. The "i" and the "l" are right where part of the base is creased and is kind of difficult to decipher right away. I know you had said it was just a thought about the name actually being Court instead of Couiles, but there is an "es" at the end of the name. The only other thought I have, is that if it doesn't say Couiles, but there is the "es" at the end, what would that stand for? I am still at a loss with that name. I am really not sure where it came from or who it is...
Let me know what you think!
Sincerely, Jennifer
jenlyeng001

Post by jenlyeng001 »

Hi again! I was just thinking about what the best way to clean these candelabra up so I see the name clearer. I have seen the baking soda paste suggestion, the aluminum foil/salt/baking soda in boiling water suggestion and silver polish for higher quality silver. According to the lack of knowing the quality of my pieces, what would you suggest the best way to clean them without any loss or damage the silver?

Blessings, Jennifer
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hi Jennifer.

I meant that International Silver started using that mark between 1934 and 1947.
Your candlestick holder was made after 1947.

I believe the word we are trying to decypher is "Countess"
It's a pattern they introduced around 1969.

http://www.925-1000.com/aPolish.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pat.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”