Rampant Lion Mark Where is it from?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
curiousgoods

Rampant Lion Mark Where is it from?

Post by curiousgoods »

Are these Candlesticks from Scotland? The Rampant Lion mark looks like the Scottish Mark but these were the only marks on the candlesticks so they could be American but I could not find this mark anywhere in my American Silver Books. Please Help!
Johanna

budtz57

Post by budtz57 »

Hi I got a silver spoon from Redlich and Company that looks similar. They are American!
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, these pieces are not Scottish. Style and marks remind me of german pieces. The Deyhle company (now inactive) in the ciy of Schwaebisch-Gmuend, Germany, used a mark just like that. The word Sterling can be found on German pieces, too. Best wishes, Bahner.
Matulda
contributor

Post by Matulda »

Bahner wrote:Hello, these pieces are not Scottish. Style and marks remind me of german pieces. The Deyhle company (now inactive) in the ciy of Schwaebisch-Gmuend, Germany, used a mark just like that. The word Sterling can be found on German pieces, too. Best wishes, Bahner.
But shouldn't they have the crescent moon and crown if they were German? The Deyhle lion is a bit more upright as well. This lion looks more like a prancing horse. I'm interested since I have a sugar and cream set (1940's/1950's) with the exact same marks, except that they have a "S" before 925 (and Swedish import marks).
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, strictly speaking - yes, there should also be half-moon and crown. But you can regularly find German pieces with just a makers mark and the mark for the silver quality. As there is no central assay office for Germany, nobody actually controls, what kind of marks a company or a silversmith uses. Best wishes, Bahner

Return to “German Silver”