Danish Silverplate Marks for the website

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
Hose_dk
contributor

Danish Silverplate Marks for the website

Post by Hose_dk »

I soppose that every country has a variety of different silverpladed marks. Admin requested a picture of the "Torchmark FDG" for this site so I started looking for silverplate.
Now silverplate is NOT my thing - so my knowledge is very limited. But I will try to put information that I have regarding the marks. The information is not acurate but to the best of my knowledge. as they all are silverplate - they are sopposed to be silver look alike marks.
I my country I remember from when I was a child in the 60ties. "When you bye 3 towered silver you buy for yourself, your children and their children... when you buy 2 towered silver you buy silver for yourself and your childred.." giving the impression that 2 towered silver was some form of silver....

My plated silver is not polished or clean - it is just something that I from time time hapens to buy - by mistake or when i buy bulk. So these items are from 30 years to approx 100 years - I dont know but...

The Torchmark FDG (Fællesrepresentationen for Danske Guldsmede)
Under G.T. for ??
Mark is from a piece from 40ties to 60ties dont realy know but in that period.
The mark was used from the beginning of 1930ies as a quality mark for silverpladed. Mark was used by various manufactures.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Second mark is from the same manufacturer as 3.mark.
the second mark is from left.
1. P for plet - (plet is danish for silverplated)
2. a different torch mark - in this case a quality mark for silverplated issued (proberly) by (Foreningen af Sølvpletfabrikanter) "Association af silvervaremanufacturer)
3. ABSA - i dont know but it could be short for Absalon and thereby be thir mark for silverplated (like ATLA which we will return to) Manufacture however is "Københavns skefabrik Amager" (Copenhagen Spoonfactory Amager) (Amager is a small island connected to Copenhagen via bridge) The 4. mark is theirs and it is a person (better to see in next mark)

The Absalon mark - Copenhagen was founded in 1168 by an archbishop from Roskilde. The mark is this man with a hammer (?) in one hand and his token as bishop in the other hand.
Mark of bishop should be turned 45 degrees counterclockwise.

return with more marks after lunch - my wife has requested that I make lunch now.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

while luch is getting ready for next step.
COHR for Carl M. Cohr.
ATLA which is CMC mark for silverplated
Torch
Denmark
baby spoon from style 1960/70ties
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

From top Torch
DANA triancle with DFA "Dansk Forsølvningsanstalt København"
Swan mark for silverplated from that manufacturer
Productnumber
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Again the bishop Absalon
2 towers for plated silver used from late 1800hundreds until 1930ties
P for plet (plated)
crown for ?? - I soppose it shoud reflect something very very fine. give associations to royalty.

for this time - perhaps I have more marks hidden in the archive :-).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hose_dk
What a nice holiday gift!
I am very far behind in updating the Silverplate Marks section, hope to get to it soon and add these marks.
Many thanks, Tom
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

So we continue.
This spoon is market 2 towers for silverplated and P for plet - which is the same.
In the middle its marked GERO
One should thing that it is danish due toi the 2 towers but gero is proberly the dutch Gerofabriek and then it is oimported and marked after import.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

12 for the thickness of silverplate. I have heard that figure represented the gross (12 pieces i.e 144 in this case) a specific amount of silver was used.
P for plet
D.S.F. for ?? yes I dont know but my guess would Dansk Sølvvare Fabrik (dansih silverware factory) but it is a guess. The mark DSF is from time to time at auctions but ??
But again like in case GERO you cannot see any difference in the 2 towers whether it is adanish production or import
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

by the way the mark with DSF is at a spoon dated 24-12 17 so it is 1917
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

This is a mistery to me KARAT never seen or heard if before with silver
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

another version of Absalon mark
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

so 18 then this silver should be thinner. 18x12 =216 pieces.
dont know M.M but it is a fork 1910-1920ties
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Carl M. Cohr ATLA mark again but this time it is the triancle with the hammer and DA
DA stands for Dansk Arbejde (danish Work) It was an association established in 1908 called Landsforeningen Dansk Arbejde (National Assosiation for Danish Enterprice) private and independent organisation that should promote danish work domestic and foreign.
Various manufactures uses this mark.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

the lighthouse is a puzzle to me but I have seen it before. It is at a souvenier spoon from Randers and these spoons exist for every litle danish town.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

last mark for now is a large laddle silver plated and the silver plating is not done very proffessionel. apart from the fact that it has been polished off at several places it is also with a lot of "dots". Where the silver plating is missing I can feel how thick the plating is - and it is thick for electroplating.
now my estimate is that this ladle is very old and that the mark with the 2 towers is one of the very first.
2 towers was first used around 1900 (just before some time) D.F.A. is
Dansk forsølvnings Anstalt. Elektroplet-factory. Established 1880. I dont know how long it existed but in 1955 a 75 years aniversery book was published.

My age theory is supported by the fact that the laddle has come via my vife parrants and the enherited it from family. So we are in 1890ties I would guess. But one can never know.
I will retur with more plated later.
Bahner
contributor

Danish Gero mark

Post by Bahner »

Hello, the Dutch Gero factory opened a branch in Copenhagen in 1922 and Georg Nilsson (formerly with Georg Jensen) started working as a designer for Gero. After the crash of 1929 the Danish branch eventually was closed in 1933, all facilities moved to Zeist, Nilsson moving with the company to continue working as a designer. The plated pieces with the Danish Gero mark are authentic “Dansk Arbejde”. Best wishes, Bahner
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Thanks for that info. That is the benefit of this forum.

I found another Cohr mark today. The stuff is everywhere in our house. My wife says that I have to much, could be that she is right.
This time I polished the ladle before taking picture, at least the piece where the mark is - hm hm not a bad idea.

2 towers CMC and 3 stars. Carl M. Cohr
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

I've collected Scandinavian souvenir spoons (mostly Viking themed) for a long time, preferring solid silver, but having no problem with well-designed silverplate. I've run across the light house mark on several rather nice quality plated spoons over the years (would guess 1930s-60s dating). While they sometimes have the plet "P" mark or the torchmark, believe every one has had the conjoined "AP" maker's mark that is shown on your piece. A check of my records show that at some point, I attributed that mark to A. Prip, the Danish company belonging the family of well-respected Danish-American designer/silversmith John (Jack) Prip - however, I don't find where I discovered that information and am now unable to verify it.

~Cheryl
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

M.& T.B for Madsen & T. Baagøes Elektroplet- og Nysølvvarefabrik established in 1874
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Looks like Cheryl was correct about A. Prip using the light house mark .
Here is a lighthouse mark above A. Prip's AP mark.

Pat.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”