Spoon Handle Stamped Backwards

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silverly

Spoon Handle Stamped Backwards

Post by silverly »

Not unheard of, but definitely something you don't see every day.

dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Spoon Handle Stamped Backwards

Post by dragonflywink »

Have seen this a number of times - someone straightened out a loop handled baby spoon, it should be curved around to show the pattern on the same side as the bowl...

~Cheryl
silverly

Post by silverly »

I see what you are saying. Wondered if I was missing something obvious. I did come across one other non child's spoon that was reversed, but maybe there's an explanation for that too. Thank you!
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Very likely the other found was a baby spoon too, do know that Baker-Manchester, Kirk, and Weidlich (those are the three that come to mind, right off) all used regular line patterns and looped their handles toward the front, though Weidlich usually used a roundish bowl, while Baker-Manchester and Kirk often used regular oval bowls. Believe most of the other companies looped toward the back, with the pattern shortened to show on the front, do find those straightened out too, they look pretty weird, but at least the marks are located on the back. Have also seen regular teaspoons with the handles modified to loop to the back, and again, they don't look quite right with the decorative top of the spoon hidden underneath...

~Cheryl

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”