Norway 1803 Spoon <crown> C VD - makers mark help

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
babclasic

Norway 1803 Spoon <crown> C VD - makers mark help

Post by babclasic »

This 8-1/2 serving spoon has mono EB LB on semi-primitively engraved handle front. Handle has full Norway hallmarks and need help sorting them out. Pretty certain the <crown C VD> is the city mark and 1803 is date made. Also perhaps the hash mark is a Gemini sign? But I need help with the cursive "R" in a more or less oval. And the "M" or "CM" in an oval. Does anybody know whos makers marks these are and any other specifics? Thanks.

Admin edit
Last edited by oel on Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images not showing
WarrenKundis
contributor

Re: Norway 1803 Spoon <crown> C VD - makers mark help

Post by WarrenKundis »

Good morning,

This blog is a well of information, read three post that were relative to your questions on the marks on your spoon. This link below will provide some answers.

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... hristiania

Hope this helps
Warren
babclasic

Post by babclasic »

Warren,
Yes, that post is very helpful - not sure how I missed that one when searching. Anyway... the one unsolved thing after reading that is the 3rd mark down on my spoon which may be a cursive "M" and one other intertwined letter. That appears to be the all important makers mark but who is it? Would be great to know the makers name and there are very few records of Norway makers marks / initials that far back that in could find anywhere.

The user "blakstone" who answered back in 2008 may know the answer - but my being a newbie of sorts don't know how to flag that user to see if they can take a look at that maker's mark? Guess I could send them a PM but is there a way to flag a user in a post so they know they were mentioned?
Thanks much,
Doug
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Glad you enjoyed it Doug,

Have a Norwegian teaspoon with the same marks as yourself for 1806. Was reading through another thread when I spotted the possible maker's mark on mine, just needed to flip the spoon over. Good luck on your search.

Warrem
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The maker (CM) is a Suede. His name is Carl Andreas Morth. He was born in Halmstad in Sweden 1767 and moved to Christiania (Oslo) in Norway in 1794 and master 28.6.1796. He died in Christiania 7.12.1824. He had a workshop with several apprentices.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Minor typo: "Swede", not Suede, sorry.
babclasic

Post by babclasic »

Thanks so much for the maker's info on this spoon. Now all the hallmarks are explained. I find it interesting that these older pieces were marked with a zodiac sign. Not quite sure why certain days of the zodiac period would be important? Could be the day range it was made in... or could be a significant date for the maker or for the pattern design? Anyway am just happy to understand all the marks. Great forum!

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”