HELP please with ID

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
terri232

HELP please with ID

Post by terri232 »

This mark in on the underneath part of a gorgeous basket and I cannot locate the manufacturer - anyone have an answer for me? Thanks so very much!

SteveDWollongong
contributor

Re: HELP please with ID

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Terri232,

An interesting set of marks to be sure...I see the makers mark belonging to Ferdinand Henzler of Hanau Germany plus a version of a"Heart and Dagger" mark of which I've not seen before, struck twice. The heart and dagger mark was used by numerous makers to represent the town of Hanau. Interestingly, they have been used to overstrike an 800 grade mark plus another mark under the right hand one which I cannot make out. I find the overstrike of the 800 unusual as the item is then marked Sterling. Finally, if you scroll down towards the bottom of the photo you can just make out the word "GERMANY".

Please see here for an exemplar of the mark of

https://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html

and further info here:

https://www.925-1000.com/hx_henzler.html

Cheers,
Steve
terri232

Post by terri232 »

Steve:
I can't thank you enough! This is strange mark and really shouldn't be marked "sterling" as that is always American made. I never saw Germany at all - you have f=great eyesight (mine is 84 years old)

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
terri232

Post by terri232 »

I looked up Henzler on eBay and there is one small piece - take a look at the marks!
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Terri,

Yes, you should describe it it as being German and from Hanau. Looking through the right hand heart and dagger mark, I now believe that the mark underneath is the standard German crescent and crown as would be expected. I looked online and found two pieces, a candelabra and a goblet. The first having the maker mark, heart and dagger and a 13 loth mark while the latter the crescent and crown, 800 and makers mark. Yours has a combination of both plus the additional "Sterling" which I suspect was added for the market in which the item was sold, It would be interesting to have your piece XRF tested to see what grade of silver it is actually made from.

Cheers,
Steve

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”