Portuguese silversmith

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JuliusVO

Portuguese silversmith

Post by JuliusVO »

Good day everyone,

I have been given some silverware and would like to find out, who the maker is. It was bought in Porto in the 50s.
I could find out that the design is inspired by the era of João V.
The silverware has been used quite a lot, so it’s difficult, at least for me, to identify the hallmark of the maker.
Does anyone know who this might have been?

Thanks for your help!

Julius

Here is the link to my album, hope it works:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... 51bXFtNEln
oel
co-admin

Re: Portuguese silversmith

Post by oel »

Hi Julius, welcome to the forum. Your link works but we prefer embedded images. Please see:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42199

Peter.
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Hello Julio The Portuguese marks, are characterized by carrying an initial, usually the surname of the silversmith. You can see if between all the pieces you have, you see this letter ?. It would help me a lot in finding who it is. The small brand is the quality of silver 833 thousandths for the city of Porto 1938-1984. Regards

Hola Julio. Las marcas portuguesas, se caracterizan por llevar una inicial, normalmente la del apellido del platero. Puede mirar si entre todas las piezas que tiene, se ve esta letra?. Me ayudaría mucho en encontrar de quien se trata. La marca pequeña es la de la calidad de la plata 833 milésimas para la ciudad de Porto 1938-1984. Saludos
JuliusVO

Post by JuliusVO »

Funkel wrote:Hello Julio The Portuguese marks, are characterized by carrying an initial, usually the surname of the silversmith. You can see if between all the pieces you have, you see this letter ?. It would help me a lot in finding who it is. The small brand is the quality of silver 833 thousandths for the city of Porto 1938-1984. Regards

Hola Julio. Las marcas portuguesas, se caracterizan por llevar una inicial, normalmente la del apellido del platero. Puede mirar si entre todas las piezas que tiene, se ve esta letra?. Me ayudaría mucho en encontrar de quien se trata. La marca pequeña es la de la calidad de la plata 833 milésimas para la ciudad de Porto 1938-1984. Saludos
Thank you for your quick answer. So you need a better, clearer picture of the initials?
Regards
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Sorry Julius, the google translator is bad and my explanation worse. I send you an example: In this mark inside the spoon there is an J. That's what I want you to look for, what letter there is inside the marks of your pieces.
regards.

Perdona Julius, el traductor de google es malo y mi explicación peor. Le mando un ejemplo: En esta marca dentro de la cuchara hay una J. Eso es lo que quiero que busque, que letra hay dentro de las marcas de sus piezas.
Saludos
JuliusVO

Post by JuliusVO »

[quote="Funkel"]Sorry Julius, the google translator is bad and my explanation worse. I send you an example: In this mark inside the spoon there is an J. That's what I want you to look for, what letter there is inside the marks of your pieces.
regards.

Perdona Julius, el traductor de google es malo y mi explicación peor. Le mando un ejemplo: En esta marca dentro de la cuchara hay una J. Eso es lo que quiero que busque, que letra hay dentro de las marcas de sus piezas.
Saludos

I tried to take some better pictures. However the quality of the hallmarks isn't great, as the silverware is roughly 70 years old.
I think it could be a "B" or an "R" in the front and "O" in the background.
Thank you for your help!
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

I'm sorry but I have not found it, I've reviewed more than 3,000 marks and it does not appear. The book is by Manuel Gonçalves Vidal "Marcas de Contrastes e Ourives Portugueses" Greetings
JuliusVO

Post by JuliusVO »

Funkel wrote:I'm sorry but I have not found it, I've reviewed more than 3,000 marks and it does not appear. The book is by Manuel Gonçalves Vidal "Marcas de Contrastes e Ourives Portugueses" Greetings
Thank you very much for trying.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Return to “Other Countries”