possible Rappoport silver?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AgandAu

possible Rappoport silver?

Post by AgandAu »

Hello! we have a silver kiddish cup which has been in the family for some time. As far as i can figure out from this site the cup is from 1899-1904 in kiev, but i can not figure out the maker mark. Is it an I.P meaning it’s by Julius Rappoport from Fabrage ? the “I” mark and the “P” mark both have a period after them which makes me think it is an I.P. per the site provided by this guide.

any thoughts?

thanks!

Sasropakis
contributor

Re: possible Rappoport silver?

Post by Sasropakis »

It could be Cyrillic ГР so in Latin alphabet GR. One mark with those initials is listed here for Kiev 1880-1908 but unfortunately is the maker is unknown: https://www.925-1000.com/Frussia_makers_A_r.html The hallmark looks somewhat different and doesn't seem to have dot between the letters so it might be a different maker but at least it might be worth searching other makers with initials GR instead of IP.
AgandAu

Post by AgandAu »

Sasropakis wrote:It could be Cyrillic ГР so in Latin alphabet GR. One mark with those initials is listed here for Kiev 1880-1908 but unfortunately is the maker is unknown: https://www.925-1000.com/Frussia_makers_A_r.html The hallmark looks somewhat different and doesn't seem to have dot between the letters so it might be a different maker but at least it might be worth searching other makers with initials GR instead of IP.

thanks! that’s where i’m stuck, the dots between the initials and the very short horizontal line make me wonder if it is a “Г“ or a “I”
Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Hi!

Agree with Sasropakis it is clearly Cyrillic ГР so PL #606 (unknown maker in Kiev).

Just forget about Julius Rappoport and Fabrage, nothing to do with them. Even the quality is nothing close to their work.

Regards,
Juke
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

The maker is Girsh Ravkin (Гирш Равкин) from Berdichev (Kiev assay office). He was the son-in-law of Israel Eselevich Zakhoder (Израиль Еселевич Заходер - ИЕЗ) and in 1907 became his heir. The mark Н-ИЕЗ means "Наследники ИЕЗ" - the heirs of ИЕЗ.

AgandAu

Post by AgandAu »

Juke wrote:Hi!

Agree with Sasropakis it is clearly Cyrillic ГР so PL #606 (unknown maker in Kiev).

Just forget about Julius Rappoport and Fabrage, nothing to do with them. Even the quality is nothing close to their work.

Regards,
Juke
100% correct about the quality! thanks
AgandAu

Post by AgandAu »

Ubaranda wrote:The maker is Girsh Ravkin (Гирш Равкин) from Berdichev (Kiev assay office). He was the son-in-law of Israel Eselevich Zakhoder (Израиль Еселевич Заходер - ИЕЗ) and in 1907 became his heir. The mark Н-ИЕЗ means "Наследники ИЕЗ" - the heirs of ИЕЗ.

oh wow thanks for this information!

Return to “Russian Silver”