Information Regarding Garrard & Co.

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Information Regarding Garrard & Co.

Post by dognose »

GARRARD & Co.

A topic for recording information regarding the important firm of Garrard & Co.

If you have any details of the above company, or their earlier entities, advertisements, details of the individuals involved, etc., anything that you are willing to share, then here's the place to post it.

See: GARRARD, Robert I & II

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Information Regarding Garrard & Co.

Post by dognose »

The King's Gold Vase at Ascot, the gift of his Majesty, takes the form this year of a jardiniere in Louis XV. style, with foliated handles. The Royal Arms are modelled in bold relief, and the vase has four panels containing the rose, shamrock, and thistle entwined. The Royal Hunt Cup is a group of stags, and the Gold Cup it a finely chased piece of work with a cover in Sixteenth Century German Renaissance style, ornamented with masks, festoons of fruit, and interlaced cartouche work, standing on a richly-decorated stem carrying bracket supports, and surmounted with a figure of Victory. The three trophies were designed and executed by Garrards, of the Haymarket.

Source: Evening Express - 20th June 1901

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

G&Co/Ld - London - 1970

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Garrard - London - 1937

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

TWO YEARS OF FRAUD

For two years Robert William Martin, thirty-five, an assistant cashier, who appeared at Bow-street yesterday, had been stealing money from his employers, Messrs. Garrard and Co., jewellers and silversmiths, Haymarket, W. Martin, whose salary was £175 a year, recently absented himself without leave. The prisoner's accounts were immediately investigated, with the result that serious defalcations were discovered. It was now stated that the total deficiency amounted to £550. When arrested he said that he had a lot of domestic trouble. Sentence of six months' hard labour was passed.

Source: Evening Express and Evening Mail - 30th December 1908

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A salver by R. & S. Garrard, assayed at London in 1839:

RG - London - 1839

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Garrard & Co. - London - 1908

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Central Criminal Court - Old Bailey

Saturday, 16th May 1840

THOMAS ATKINS was indicted for stealing, on the 12th of May, 3 oz. weight of silver filings, value 13s., the goods of Sebastian Garrard and others, his masters.

Sebastian Garrard. I am one of the firm of Sebastian Garrard and Co., silversmiths in the Haymarket. The prisoner was in our employ—we have from day to day a quantity of silver filings accumulated—my attention was called on several occasions to a deficiency in the filings, in reference to the business done, and on Wednesday the prisoner was given in charge —when I came to business in the morning, he told me he was very sorry for what had happened, and if I would forgive him, nothing of the sort should happen again—I had made him no promise—none of the servants have permission to take the silver filings—I lost 1200 ounces last year.

Edward Wallis. I was in the prosecutor's service—there had been silver filings missing—there are about eighty persons in the employ—none of the servants have the privilege of having the silver filings. On Tuesday, May the 12th, I saw the prisoner go up to Mr. Hearn's shop-door, in Jerusalem-passage—directly he saw me he retired from it—my suspicions were aroused, and I concealed myself under a public-house window, nearly opposite Mr. Hearn's shop—the prisoner caught sight of me, and retired—in about half-an-hour I saw him come out of the house where I lodged, which is just by Jerusalem-passage—he beckoned me out of the house—I followed him into the street, and he said to me, "What is the matter?"—I pretended I did not know what he meant—he said, "You have been into the passage "—I said, "And so have you, with two ounces and eighteen dwts. of silver "—(I had in the mean time made inquiry at Hearns's)—he said, "I have," and begged and prayed of me not to make it known to my employers.

Prisoner. I did not say the property belonged to my employers, but begged him not to mention it to them.

John Hearn. I am a refiner, and live in Jerusalem-passage, St. John's-square. On Tuesday, May 12th, the prisoner came to my shop, about eight o'clock at night, with some silver filings, wrapped in brown paper, and requested I would melt it for him, and he would call in an hour, or if I could not do it, he would call in the morning—I said I would do it at once—previous to his calling for the money Wallis came, and made inquiry, in consequence of which I showed him the silver—it had then been melted—I did not know that he was in the prosecutor's service—a few minutes after Wallis left the shop the prisoner came in, and asked if it was ready—I told him " Yes," that I had melted it, but it was stopped, and I did not pay him for it—I should have allowed him 4s. 6d. an ounce without assaying—it was not worth assaying.

Walter Thorburn. I am a policeman. The prisoner was given into my charge—on going to the station-house I asked him if he had taken the silver filings—he said he had, but he was not the only man in the shop that took the filings—I made him no promise or threat.

Prisoner's Defence. Nothing was found on me; as to the silver, nobody can say I took it off the premises—other people had the same chance of taking things as I had—it was not in the same state, and they cannot swear to it.

GUILTY. Aged 37.—Transported for Seven Years.

Source: Central Criminal Court - Minutes of Evidence - Henry Buckler - 1840

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A napkin-holder by Garrard & Co., assayed at London in 1998, styled from the original porters' badges used at the Bank of England:

See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&p=110358

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Garrard & Co. Ltd. - London - 1913

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

THE INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITION - LONDON 1862

To attempt a list of the distinguished visitors present last Saturday would be useless. It would comprise the names of more than half the peerage and aristocracy in London. After the picture galleries, which were most inconveniently thronged all day, the French, Roman, Furniture, and Porcelain Courts seemed the great objects of attraction, and above all, the cases in which the leading goldsmiths show their extraordinary collection of jewels. It is not possible to get an inspection of the glittering contents of these without waiting a considerable time, as in a crowd at a railway station, till the time of the spectator comes to pass the spot opposite Garrard's show, which is one of the finest collections of jewels in the building, if not one of the finest ever exhibited by a single firm. A barrier is placed with a policeman, to filter the crowd through in regular order two abreast. Though the visitor has to wait some considerable time for his opportunity to pass, he is really well rewarded for it after all.

In addition to the collar, badge and star of the various orders of the Garter, Bath, Thistle, and St. Patrick, and Star of India, all and each show rare specimens of workmanship in gold enamelling on the collars, there is a magnificent collection of tiaras, necklaces, bracelets and brooches of every variety of precious stones. There are pink pearls and black diamonds, rubies of every tint, amethysts, emeralds, and brilliants, till the sparkling mass culminates at last in that marvel of diamonds the Koh-i-Noor, which, since its re-cutting is now really a "mountain of light." Few persons saw it in its almost rough state of its Oriental cutting in 1851 without a feeling of disappointment that such an unshapely, dim-looking gem could be really the largest and purest diamond in the world and no one who saw it then will recognise it now. Since the re-cutting has so much improved its shape though it has diminished its size by about one-third its brilliancy is so intense that it positively seems to contain some inward mass of fiery sparkles that emit rays in all directions. Visitors can judge at once of its recent improvement, for by its side is placed a perfect model in crystal glass of its form.

Source: The Aberdare Times - 10th May 1862

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A photo-frame by Garrard & Co., assayed at London in 1915, with applied arms of Serbia:

See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 49&p=73131

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Garrard & Company Ltd. - London, Calcutta and Simla - 1914

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A magnificent silver camp equipage, constructed by command of her Majesty, as a present to the Duke of Cambridge, has just been completed by the Messrs. Garrard, and forwarded for the use of his Royal Highness. The same firm have also just completed a camp equipage for Lord Raglan, which left Southampton on Wednesday.

Source: The Welshman - 14th April 1854

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A dish-cover by Garrard & Co., the handle assayed at London in 1839:

See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8&p=149821

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Garrard's - London - 1905

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

TESTIMONIAL TO THE RIGHT HON. HENRY B. W. BRAND, M.P.

On Saturday evening a distinguished party, consisting of noblemen and gentlemen belonging to the Whig and Liberal section of the members of the Houses of Parliament, assembled at a grand banquet at Willis's Rooms, which was given to the Right Hon. Henry B. W. Brand, the member for Lewes, and the former whipper-in of the Whig Government. It was presided over by the Right Hon. William Gladstone, the honoured guest of the evening being seated on the right of the chairman. Covers were laid for 234. The company sat down to dinner at eight o'clock, and the cloth having been removed the usual loyal toasts were duly honoured. After which, the chairman proposed the health of Mr. Brand, and in doing so, paid him a high compliment for the effective and able manner in which he had performed the duties of the important political position which he occupied in connection with the late Government. The chairman then presented to Mr. Brand, amidst loud cheers, a splendid testimonial, consisting of a richly-chased silver plateau in the Queen Anne style, with crest supports, surmounted by a full-length figure of her Majesty the Queen, supported by a circle of portraits, consisting of Palmerston, Macaulay, Gratton, Burke, Somers, Hampden, Walpole, Chatham, Cobden, Grey, Pym, and Fox. These portraits were fixed on raised medallions upon the plateau. On either side a dish to hold flowers, and also two seven-light candelabra in the same taste. The testimonial was manufactured by R. and S. Garrard and Co., goldsmiths to the crown. The testimonial, which was placed on the table in front of the chairman, was much admired by the company. Mr. Brand expressed his acknowledgements for the honour done him in a feeling and effective speech. The health of the chairman and other toasts having been given and responded to, the company retired.

Source: The Brecon County Times - 4th April 1868

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A presentation spoon by Garrard & Co., assayed at London in 1904:

SG - London - 1904

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Garrard & Co. Ltd. - London - 1963

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A Magnificent Trophy for Blake

The builders of H.M.S Blake, the 11,700 tons (full load displacement) cruiser completed last year, Messrs. Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Co. Ltd., Govan, have presented the ship with a magnificent trophy.

It is a model of Admiral Robert Blake's flagship, the George, on board which he died in August 1657 as he was approaching Plymouth on his
return from a successful campaign.

The model is solid silver, about one foot long, and is valued at £650. It was made by Garrard and Co. of London and it took eight months to complete.
The stern, which is very intricate, was carved by hand from a solid block of silver and the rigging, of strands of silver, took two weeks to complete.

It is a trophy of which the ship is very proud and all on board are very grateful to Messrs. Fairfield's for their generosity. It will occupy pride of place among the ship's trophies and be an object of admiration for all on board.

Source: Navy News - January 1962

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”