Spoon with design of a turkey on back ?

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
samtron76df

Spoon with design of a turkey on back ?

Post by samtron76df »

Recently acquired this spoon and can't figure out the country of origin or maker. It has what appears to be the design of a turkey on the back of the bowl. It is 5.25" long. It has some initials in dot-type engraving on the front so it is probably from Europe somewhere. Any info appreciated. Wonder about how old it is... looks to me to be maybe early 1800's? Tks

samtron76df

Re: Spoon with design of a turkey on back ?

Post by samtron76df »

does anyone have any thoughts as to what country this might be from?...
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

It's difficult to say for sure but to me the style of the spoon looks like British but on the other hand it doesn't look it's made there. Of course this is just speculation as the style was also imitated in other countries and the spoon is apparently not assayed as there's only the maker's mark. The front decoration reminds me of the bright cut style popular in Britain especially in the late 18th century. And I don't think the back picture is a turkey. It's rather a poor imitation of the fashionable rocaille decoration which was used especially during the rococo period in the mid 18th century. Usually this kind of decoration can be found in the so-called picture back spoons though not engraved like in this question. So the spoon could be a some kind of imitation of a British style spoon made in some provincial town somewhere in the Northern Europe.
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

Just another guess. The maker's mark somehow reminds me of early American coin silver marks which would also explain why it's not assayed. But unfortunately I couldn't find any matching maker and I'm not really familiar with American coin silver at all.
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

Thank you for taking the time to try and figure this out. I don't think it's american but it does sort of have that look in some respects. Going to keep digging... It does have a dot style initial engraving on the front which leads me to believe it might be from somewhere in Europe. Thanks again...
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

The initials in dot style / pricked engraving seem to indicate Northern Europe / Scandinavia. I didn't notice the initials in the photo as they are so faint due to reflection. That kind of engraving was often used for example in Finland in lower quality items like beakers made for the (wealthy) peasants. Those items also tend to imitate the fashionable decorations like the rocaille/"turkey" in this case (often with poor results though). But the spoon is not Finnish as there isn't any recorded silversmith with those initials and I couldn't find any matching Swedish silversmith either. The next guess would probably be Norway...
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The spoon is from Mandal in Norway. The maker PW is Peder Lorentzen Wichar(d)t/Wiichart- He was born 1.6.1764 and became apprentice 15.2.1779 and was master 1798 in the guild of Kristiansand. He passed away 16.10.1824. His father was also a goldsmith Lorentz Wichardt (LW) in Kristiansand 1762~1785.

You are a lucky person samtron76df. I have to admit that it was a pure coincident that I found the answer. I was looking for something completely else browsing a Norwegian book when the initials suddenly caught my eyes...."what was that...?" and there it was!
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

Thank you very much for helping figure this out. Greatly appreciate everyone's assistance. Can I ask what book you found that in? I looked through the online silversmith directories and couldn't find it and it would be helpful to learn what publications are available when those fail to provide an answer. Thanks again.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

the spoon pattern is a variation of the pattern Empire .
I even think that I have an example of same pattern.
The rococco decoration on back in combination with the decoration in front is unusual. The back points back in time the front forrward. I assume thats because it produced when the two styles meet in time.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The book is "Norske Gull- og Sølvstempler gjennom tidenen 1500-1950, author Bredo Østby. However, the maker is found in other books too.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”