Silver Tongs

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
niceguy1

Silver Tongs

Post by niceguy1 »

Hello

Who is the maker KP & the Assayer? It’s hallmarked on both prongs of the tong.

niceguy1

Re: Silver Tongs

Post by niceguy1 »

Interestingly, after some careful cleaning I see there is another stamp of the makers mark inside of the curved tip & a different Kokoshnik. They are quite difficult to photograph in that spot but I did my best.

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Most likely a Finn, Karl Reijonen in St. Petersburg 1884-1908. The kokshnik's outlook tells us that the tong is made during the latter part of 1898.
niceguy1

Post by niceguy1 »

HI

Thanks for your help.

Can you please clarify a few things: If him why are the initials KP & not KR? Why are there 2 distinct types of Kokoshniks? Who is the assayer whose initials are on the 2 outer Kokosniks?

Many Thanks
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

KP are the initials in Cyrillic letters where the Latin "R" is represented by P (Cyrillic KP is Latin KR). I cannot see the assayer's initials behind the kokoshnk's neck, but they are probably ЯЛ (tell me if they aren't). That would be Jakov Lyapunov 1898/1899-1904. The main kokoshnik is the one in the oval frame. However, the tong is made of separate soldered parts. Every part should carry the needed marks. The kokshnik in the round frame on the "tip" is a subkokoshnik. It was used only in connection with the main hallmark on smaller parts. This procedure in order to avoid the possibility of somebody changing after the assaying a soldered silver part to a non-valuable metal.

What I told you above is only elementary information. If you want to learn more about the Russian hallmarking system, read the other threads on the Russian site. You will find lots of useful information in them.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

UPS, I made a big mistake ! I was looking for the assayer's initials on the main kokoshnik. Now I saw the assayer's initillas on the round subkokoshnik. They are ГБ, Latin GB. That would be Gedeon Bytchkov in Kostroma 1898-1899. Unfortunately the maker KP is unknown to name.

So sorry for the first "misleading" info.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi niceguy1 -

here a sugar tongs from the mentioned Karl Reijonen from St. Petersburg - known for his simple design and small size. The marks are very similar and easily confused for the inexperienced.

Regards
Goldstein
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi niceguy1 -

sugar tongs from Kostroma are unique in style and easy to detect (always twisted arms)!

Regards
Goldstein
niceguy1

Post by niceguy1 »

Now it all makes sense.Thanks Qrt & Goldstein.

Return to “Russian Silver”