Does anyone recognise these marks ?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Mperry

Does anyone recognise these marks ?

Post by Mperry »

Hi,

I think these characters are Chinese but I cant read them. Does anyone know what they say?

Many thanks

Maureen
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Does anyone recognise these marks ?

Post by dognose »

Hi Maureen,

An image of the whole item may go a long way in aiding a positive identification.

Trev.
Mperry

Post by Mperry »

Hi Trev.

Sorry I don't have another picture at present. It's a small silver pot with typical bamboo decoration. Your recent post regarding the new Korean section has allowed me to understand the character at the top and can now confirm the marks are Chinese. Although I cant yet find the others.

Maureen
Mperry

Post by Mperry »

Hello Trev,

I am still unable to find any similar marks. As I said previously, the website post about the Korean silver allowed me to confirm it is Chinese silver. That is all I can find at present. Learning the silver marks for a country that uses a different language, obviously takes time, experience and is probably quite difficult. To that end I assume that most use reference books. Could you perhaps point me in the right direction for maybe some literature that could help me with these marks.

Regards

Maureen

Mperry

Post by Mperry »

Hello

I have just showed the marks to a friend of mine who lives in China. He said he knows nothing about silver but 银制 translates to English as made by silver, and 旭浩 could be the name of the silversmith. 旭 means sun, 浩 means big.
Although he did say that it is Japanese and not Chinese, as the Chinese do not say it like that. Also the Japanese would use Chinese words in formal occasions sometimes.

I tried 旭浩 in google translate which gave me Asahiro although I realise this might not be correct.

Regards

Maureen
Ag999
contributor

Post by Ag999 »

The mark on top is 銀 which means silver.
rem801116

Post by rem801116 »

Hi, According to the Chinese characters, it is made of silver. That is no problem. However, I am not sure if it is made in China. I guess it may be made in Japan. 100 years ago, Japan and Korea were using Chinese characters in the formal documents. The way of literature is similar but there is a Little different on the use of Words. The silver stamp is '銀制* is different from common Chinese stamp. More common Chinese stamp is more likely '紋 銀*. The maker\s name '旭浩' sounds more like a Japanese silversimit name. Especalily, 旭浩 was more common in Japan at that time.
Best wishes,
Bo
RedMask
contributor

Post by RedMask »

Upper stamp 銀製 common for japanese silver.
This is usually 925 purity.

In the photo below is a japanese cup from the 1970s with the same marking (makers logo is different, of course).

ImageImage

ImageImage
RedMask
contributor

Post by RedMask »

RedMask wrote:(makers logo is different, of course).
Makers name.
zhaosu
contributor

Post by zhaosu »

The characters are "純銀旭製", means "Pure Silver Made by Asahi".

It's a mark of Asahi Shoten in Kanji (Chinese characters) instead of Latin letters, which is somewhat rare to find.
zhaosu
contributor

Post by zhaosu »

zhaosu wrote:The characters are "純銀旭製", means "Pure Silver Made by Asahi".

It's a mark of Asahi Shoten in Kanji (Chinese characters) instead of Latin letters, which is somewhat rare to find.
Sorry, a typo. The text is actually "純銀旭造".
You can find "製", "造" or "作" on the marks or engraved signatures of Japanese silver, they all mean "make, manufactory or product" in Chinese and Japanese.

Return to “Asia & Middle East - Single Image”