What-is-it question XL

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
Granmaa
co-admin

What-is-it question XL

Post by Granmaa »

Here is a sweet little object of which I am the proud owner; it is 13cm long, hallmarked for London 1794 and possibly made by Charles Watts, though any conformation of this would be gratefully received.

What's it called and what's it for?

Miles

Image Image
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Miles,
When I first saw this item I thought it was a tounge depresser, but I get the feeling something is missing, I could understand one hole for hanging but cannot see the reason for the others, is it the same thickness along its length?,
It certainly is a nice interesting piece,
Regards Trev.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

You're right Trev, it's a tongue depressor. I really thought this one would prove difficult!

It's about twice as thick at the end with the holes. I'm not quite sure of their use; perhaps to act as grip in case it starts sliding down the patients throat!
What do you think about the maker?

Miles
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Do you not think that the holes are for holding a handle - I could imagine that a white bone handle could be fastened.
Just a guess.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Miles,
Yes, I think it has to be Charles Watts, I did wonder about about Charles Wright but Grimwade has him retiring in 1790, Fallon has him resigning from the Goldsmiths Company in the same year,
Regards Trev.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There was a tendency at the time to decorate even the most utilitarian items. If it just had two holes, I would agree that it could have had ivory, bone or hardwood plates rivet fastened as a handle, but the quatrefoil in the center is purely decorative.
Regards, Tom
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Perhaps decorative. If we think ivory - a piece of ebony in form of a "flower" or similar could have been in the middle. That could explain the 4 holes.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,
Agree with hose dk thats just how I could imagine it,
Regards Trev.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

While searching the net for old depressor designs, I pretty much got an overview of the last 200 years of their forms. Enough, both old and brand new, have piercings that lead me to believe they serve a purpose beyond the decorative.
Image Image

Regards, Tom
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

The positioning of the hallmarks on this one suggests that the holes are not for a handle.

Miles

Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

An auctioneer has told me that the holes signify which end one is meant to hold.

Miles
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

I came across this diagram in Table Knives and Forks by Simon Moore; it suggests that the two holes could be for the handle rivets and the quatrefoil (which was cut in both scales of the handle) acts as a susppension loop.

Miles

frenchie_myriam
contributor

Post by frenchie_myriam »

Hi Miles,

Could be part of a bookmark missing its upper part to hold the page

Best Regards
Myriam
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Hi Myriam,

Almost certainly not. It is too heavy for a bookmark and I've never seen an 18th century bookmark before. These items are described as tongue depressors.

Miles
frenchie_myriam
contributor

Post by frenchie_myriam »

Dear Miles,

As you did not mention the weight it was just a wild guess. Nevertheless you should contact member GERRYL. He is a bookmark collector and he should be able to help you to confirm if yes or no it could be part of a bookmark. Some of his are really large in size so the 13 cms long did not surprise me.

Best Regards. Myriam

Return to “Mystery Objects”