cigarette case

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
madej

cigarette case

Post by madej »

Hello . What is the 24 A mark? I did not find artel 24 :)
I do not have better quality photos.
Click on the image for better qualitty.
Regards

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: cigarette case

Post by Qrt.S »

Here you can read about the artels:
http://www.silvercollection.it/dictionaryARTELSMO.html
Pay attention to this:" Until today there is no evidence of the existence of a silver artel carrying any of the following numbers: 10, 16, 17, 19, 21, 24, 27 or 30. Why the series of numbers is incomplete is not known."
However, I don't think that this 24A would be the the mark of the possibly "missing" 24th artel's mark. If it is, it would be a sensational finding made by you. What talks against it is the shape of the mark and the average quality of the case... Let's wait and see what others might have to say...
madej

Post by madej »

Thanks
I know that artel 24 is not known, but maybe that's it :)
Let's wait for what others will say
Regards
madej

Post by madej »

Hi.
It's hard to tell if it's Artel or something else? :)
Regards
madej

Post by madej »

Hi
Last question :) Can anyone definitely exclude that it is not 24 artel? I know that it is not known today but that does not mean it did not exist.
Regards
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Just curious what the inscription says and wondering what the decorations on the front of the case looks like? (Artel24)
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes, show us the inscription. It might reveal something, who knows? I hardly believe the case being a product of the "missing" 24th artel That would be a sensation! By the way the quality is not even close to the craftsmanship presented by the artels. Please read the introduction in the link i showed earlier.
madej

Post by madej »

Hi.
Written in Polish "In gratitude, friends
Novoradomsk, 12/10/1917 "
Regards
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Would knowledge of Polish hallmarks from 1915-1920 be of any use in this case? ___ I know it is a number "2," but it kind of looks like a swan, but that might be an optical illusion because I have been staring at these hallmarks for awhile now (insomnia) ___
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

There is no "Poland" before 1920, it is Russia. The independent Poland abolished the Russian hallmark system in 1920 and created its own. The marks on the cigarette case have nothing to do with the new hallmarks:
http://www.925-1000.com/Fpoland_marks_1.html
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -

this neverending fake discussions are rather boring. The shown fakes get simpler and simpler - there is no limit anymore.

1) this cigarette case pattern is a typical British (England) pattern and nowhere else seen or made - n o t R u s s i a n!
2) the monogramms are in Latin not in Cyrillic and when you look close: they are older than the Polish inscription = the Polish inscription was added later!
3) the 24A is total sensless when you know the history of the different Artels and what they fabricated in highest quality! They never used coloured glass cabouchons.
4) the kokoschnik mark is a fake - where the eliminated English marks have been I do not know - may be it is only plated - your photos are not precise enough.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Regards
Goldstein
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I just thought the date of 1917 fell within the period of 1915-1920 and so....

1915-1920: Third Interim Marks
After Poland’s freedom from Russia, it took a few years for the new Polish government to introduce its own hallmarking system. In the meantime, most silver was marked with the word „SREBRO” (silver), or just „SR” and the fineness, still in zolotniks.

I have no knowledge of this period of history from 1915-1920 in this particular region...
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The statement of the "Third Interim Marks" was made by Zolotnik (Goldstein) years ago. I don't know what is the source/base for that and cannot recall for the moment ever seeing such marks ever....maybe. However, during the wartime of WWI, in yet "non-existing Poland" that was occupied in turns by Austria, Germany and Russia, was used a common mark for gold (550-583) and silver (750-800). This mark was sword hilt (1914-1918) in a quadratic shield with cut corners (I have never seen that mark either in reality). Anyway, during wartime not much if any objects in valuable metals are made. There are more important matters to take care of and the metals are needed for other purposes.

Anyway, this cigarette case is under no circumstances made by the "missing 24th" artel and it origin is dubious.

Return to “Russian Silver”