HE hallmark for same citrus spoon as a Gorham?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SnoodinOrange

HE hallmark for same citrus spoon as a Gorham?

Post by SnoodinOrange »

Hello and thank you in advance for your time. I use this site constantly as I have been collecting sterling the last few years. Can anyone help me identify this sterling hallmark? Along with the name of this spoon (if it has one?). I like to keep a record of my items so I have their age and provenance. I've only seen this pattern in this style so it is not a full flatware line, it is just a figural citrus spoon as far as I know. I have found similar spoons online marked with this HE hallmark, along with the Gorham hallmarks, but Mine is not marked Gorham. I thought perhaps it was Holmes and Edwards but all the sites I checked have hallmarks that don't look like this. Also wondering why spoons would be marked HE and Gorham - was Gorham the maker and the HE retailer? If so, why doesn't mine have the Gorham hallmarks? Thanks for any assist!
Here are the photos (I hope I did this right)

Traintime
contributor

Re: HE hallmark for same citrus spoon as a Gorham?

Post by Traintime »

Mark is shown in International Silver's company history plate XXXIX...technical glitches keeping me from uploading an image right now. Definitely one of Holmes & Edwards.
SnoodinOrange

Post by SnoodinOrange »

Thank you so much Traintime! Do you have any ideas why an identical spoon would have the HE hallmark and Gorhams as well? As I mentioned mine does not, but wondered what the relationship was and whose design it is.
Thanks so much for your time!
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Here the marks page (hosting site back up):

url=https://postimages.org/]Image[/url]

SnoodinOrange

Post by SnoodinOrange »

Thank you so much! Can you tell me the name of that book so I can try to find one for future reference? Does it have other makers or just International? Appreciate you sharing!
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Century of Silver 1847-1947 Connecticut Yankees and a Noble Metal by Earl Chapin May, Robert M. McBride & Company New York First Edition Illustrated 1947 (Advance copies were sent out by International Silver Company on a complimentary basis.)
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

It is all just Int. Silver Co. and predecessor firms. Rainwater's encyclopedia covers marks and histories of other firms producing for the American markets (some are foreign)...edition 4 is the one to get if you can locate it. (There's a resources section on this site too.)
SnoodinOrange

Post by SnoodinOrange »

Thanks so much for the info and recommendation! I am building my reference library. Really appreciate your time and expertise!

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”