18th Century snuff box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
joho
contributor

18th Century snuff box

Post by joho »

Hi all. Would be grateful for any information on this snuff box, which appears to be French and mid 18th century. It is quite large (about 8cm across and weighing 82 grams). There are 3 sets of hallmarks struck 3 times, one on the inside base, once on the inside of the cover and once on an inside wall. I am always a little suspicious about early marks and whether they may be fake. In saying that, the box appears to be of good quality and there are apparently early names and initials engraved on the base. Many thanks, John

wolfgang
contributor

Re: 18th Century snuff box

Post by wolfgang »

Probably its the makers mark of Jean-Malquis Le Quin, got his master-craftsman diploma 08.01.1748. He was still working in 1777. Adress: Quai Pelletier, "Hotel Aux Anneaux d'Or".
regards
wolfgang
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Many thanks Wolfgang. I have followed up on your comments and have indeed found the mark for Jean Malquis le Quin - also another mark for him registered in1735. But have you any suggestions on what the other marks on the box are? Thanks again.
John
Agman

Post by Agman »

Unfortunately, those marks are fake. Eagle's head would be the discharge mark for Paris, 1780s, but among other problems it's much too large – it should be tiny compared to the maker's mark and date mark.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Agree that these marks are spurious.
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Confirmed my suspicions !! Many thanks for your input. Kind regards John

Return to “French Silver”