Japanese Pin w/mill & Fuji

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
questingmoose

Japanese Pin w/mill & Fuji

Post by questingmoose »

Please identify the maker, approximate date and origin of this pin. Apx. 2" side to side. Thatched roof mill with waterwheel, stream, pine tree, Mt. Fuji (probably) and other landscape. Stylized maker's mark ( I hope) on obverse.

Thank you.

davidross
contributor

Re: Japanese Pin w/mill & Fuji

Post by davidross »

We have seen a few logo marks like this before, but had no luck at all in tracking them down. The logo mark is the classic "three-peaked Fuji" with what appears to be a fence or possibly a stylized version of the character 井("well," as in a wishing well).

I know of no resource in English that catalogues Japanese makers' marks of small metalwork like this. There has been some discussion in this section of damascene, and FredZ has a site that shows some makers' marks:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10243567 ... banner=pwa

It looks to me like this piece started out as a buckle and was later refashioned into a brooch, so I would assume it dates from some time before WWII and was altered or repaired in the immediate postwar.

You might also try posting a query to a jewelry discussion forum. Please keep us informed if you find out something more.

Regards
DR
questingmoose

Post by questingmoose »

davidross,
I shall do. I checked FredZ's site: no happiness ensued.
You have given me a clue, so I shall continue looking.
Thank you.
Mike Moose
FredZ
contributor

Post by FredZ »

I somehow missed this post. The Mt Fuji mark is often seen with a signature. We have good evidence that perhaps the signature which translates to Yoshihiko Saku or "made by Yoshihiko" is perhaps the maker of the Mt Fuji marked items.
The items are not damascene work and instead intricate etched and gilded work on brass base. Black lacquer is painted and baked into the recesses to mimic the true damascene known as nunome-zogan.

I am reluctant to positively state that all Mt. Fuji marked items are the work of Yoshihiko until I can find period literature that would corroborate the connection.

MIke your brooch is a lovely one made by a desirable maker. Larger items often command high prices. I hope this helps.

Fred
questingmoose

Post by questingmoose »

Fred Z,

Thank you very much. I shall see what I can find out about this fellow.

Best to you.

Mike
FredZ
contributor

Post by FredZ »

Another bit of information relating to David Ross' observation of the stylized 井 at the bottom of the Mt Fuji. Fuji combined with this Kanji character may refer to a name Fujii. We had a related post on this forum. http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ii#p107692
Hope this helps. Please let us know if you find further information on this maker.
Fred
FredZ
contributor

Post by FredZ »

Mike,
With your permission I would like to add the mark on your brooch to my online image site. The etched brass metalwork imitating nunome-zogan work is prolific and it is important to document it.
Fred
FredZ
contributor

Post by FredZ »

Additional information continues to be found for the maker of items marked with the mark used on this buckle converted to brooch. A cigar case with similar decoration as that found on the brooch and using the same etching process was found in it's original box and the box contains a cloth label marked Fujii Damascene Company and the logo of Mt. Fuji and the well mark designating the Kanji character for I. I suspect that this is the company that made the brooch.
Fred
FredZ
contributor

Post by FredZ »

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Fred,

Many thanks for updating this topic, it's very much appreciated.

Trev.
questingmoose

Post by questingmoose »

Hi FredZ,
I cannot find that I replied to your request (way back in 2015) to add the mark to your online site.
You are more than welcome. Thank you for your insights.
Mike
FredZ
contributor

Post by FredZ »

Thanks MIke, I have added it and many others since my last post here. Another excellent site for marks found on Japanese damascene and other cigarette cases is "SmokingSamurai.com"
questingmoose

Post by questingmoose »

Fred,
Thank you for the link. I can see why the fellow got excited. Such craftsmanship.
Mike
zhaosu
contributor

Post by zhaosu »

Made by Fujii Damascene Company (藤井象眼株式会社). The base metal of their produce are mainly bronze/copper instead of iron. Thus, not truly damascene ware.
questingmoose

Post by questingmoose »

zhaosu,

Thank you very much.

Mike

Return to “Far East”