Unknown mark on the back of a silver button

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
EJThompson

Unknown mark on the back of a silver button

Post by EJThompson »

Dear Forum members.
I found a set of 7 silver buttons amongst a box found in a charity shop. I have identified that they are London 1902 and the maker is Samuel Jacob. What I can't identify, is that there is a capitol C stamped on the back of each button. Does anyone know what this might be? I have included photos taken under a magnifying glass for ease. They are also carved with the four flowers of the British isles, Thistle, daffodil, Rose, and what looks like shamrock. I cant be sure.
Many thanks,
Elaine Thompson

I really apologise, But I cannot seem to find the way to insert my pictures I have used the 'press image' (img) button, but all attempts to insert a picture are failing.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Unknown mark on the back of a silver button

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi, Elaine, and welcome to the Forum.

The following should help you to post your images:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

and: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42199

Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links or thumbnails.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post - if your images don't show up there we won't be able to see them either.

Phil
EJThompson

Post by EJThompson »

Dear Team,
On closer inspection what I thought was a capitol C is, on some of them, a Capitol D.
What do you make of that? I would be most interested to find out,and if anyone can explain how to put my photos up I would be most grateful. I am, in general, quite tech minded. Just not used to whatever format it is you have above this message.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Best wishes
Elaine Thompson
EJThompson

Post by EJThompson »

Thank you so much for your instruction with the pictures. here are two with one more to follow, and I hope they are clear enough for you to decipher.
Elaine Thompson

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

The C is not an official mark, but may be a journeyman's mark; i.e. the personal mark of the workman actually responsible for the piece. Alternatively it could be some sort of factory mark to designate the set (pattern, size, etc) for which it is intended. Or it might be something else....

Phil
EJThompson

Post by EJThompson »

Dear Phil,
Thank you for that information. I assumed that the maker was Samuel Jacob as his stamp is all over the buttons, sometimes twice!
And the thought still occurs that one of the buttons has a D and not a C, and they are quite rough at the back.
Also, do you know anything about the symbolic nature of the flowers? Am I correct in thinking that they represent the British isles?
Thank you in advance,
Elaine

Return to “London Hallmarks”