The well known concern of Simons Bros. Co. is among the concerns which have a long history covering well over half a century. This business was established in Philadelphia in 1839 by George W. Simons, who associated with him Peter B. Simons. A few years later Stacey B. Obdyke was admitted and the firm became Geo. W. Simons & Bro., Obdyke & Co. On the withdrawal of Mr. Obdyke a few years later Thomas Maddock was admitted to the firm and the name changed to Simons Bro. & Co.
During the Civil War one of the principal products of this concern was the manufacture of fine swords and among the famous ones manufactured was that presented to General Meade at the close of the war.
About 1878 Peter B. Simons opened a branch office in San Francisco and finally withdrew from the Philadelphia concern. In the course of the following years the sons of George W. Simons were admitted to partnership, namely: John F. Simons, George W. Simons, Jr., Frederick M. Simons and Edwin S. Simons.
It is interesting to note also that at the end of the Spanish War the concern manufactured the sword which was presented to Admiral Sampson by the State of New York.
In 1913 a corporation was formed and the firm became Simons Bros. Co., the surviving members of the organization being Frederick M. and Edwin S. During the entire 79 years of its existence the concern has specialized in the manufacture of gold and silver thimbles of which it probably is the largest manufacturer in the country.
For many years the concern was located at Ransted Court, Philadelphia, Pa., but for the past 65 years the factory has been operated at 618 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, with branch offices in New York, Chicago and San Francisco.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 5th February 1919